I have two hard drives, a C: drive and a D: drive. The C drive is a Maxtor 2F040J0 (I think) and the D drive is a Maxtor 6E040L0, however, they may be the other way around.

I recently bought a new motherboard and processor and installed them and connected all the IDE cables and so forth, but when I started my PC I noticed I wasn't starting X-Fire as I usually do when my system starts up. I found the short cut and double clicked it but it couldn't find it. I opened My Computer and double clicked the D: drive short cut to get the error:

"D:\ is not accessible.

This request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

I don't like the sound of that..

Now, my computer knows it's there, it can tell me what make it is and the capacity of it, but it can't access it. I don't have a clue why. It's plugged in if it's detecting it, right?

Please don't tell me my hard drive has crashed and I need to format as I may just rip my hair out. :)

I appreciate the help guys!

Contributors
Replies
Views
10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Nanor

Did you put these drives in the same cable?

Or

Put the drive in other channel. Check what will happen.

The drives are separate IDE cables plugged into seperate IDE channel.

I switched the IDE cables, I put the blue IDE cable in the black channel and the black IDE in the blue channel. It boots up normally but I am still unable to access my D: drive, but I can still access my C: drive.

Change your configuration:

Do you have cdrom?

Don't disturb your c:\drive.

Try to attach your drive as slave with cdrom drive.

If you have usb controller, try to test your drive on it.

Ahh, fixed it. I ran a chkdsk D: and it told me to run chkdsk with /f (fix) which believe it or not fixed it.

I knew I should have faith in Windows. :). Thanks again for your help guys!

Okay, At least your hard drive is still alive. Thanks for posting your solution.

Well it's mostly alive, I can still play files off it but games appear to be on the fritz a bit.. time for a reinstall. Thanks again guys!

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.