My Uncle recently bought a new mobo and processor to put into his computer.

We've put everything in, and the computer powers up. Then we get a screen that says, "American Megatrends"

"AMIBIOS (C) 2005"

It recognizes the hard drive and the optical drives, then at the bottom it says,

"CMOS Checksum Bad
CMOS Date/Time Not Set
Press F1 to Run Setup"

We checked the mobo manual, and it instructed us to clear the CMOS Jumper. We've done this several times, but no luck.

It then told us to run Setup (F1) and "Load Optimal De-faults", then save and exit. After doing this, it checks Nvram, and says "Ok."

Now a screen comes up saying, "We apologize for the inconvience, but Windows did not start properly" indicating that it may be due to hardware chanes.

You're given the option to load windows with the last knon good configuration, or in safe mode, or safemode with a command prompt. ALL choices give a BSOD.

It says a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

It then says, "Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any nely installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer."

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0XBACC3528, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

I don't know what it could be. Is there a way I could load a command prompt to run CHKDSK? We know the hard drive isn't the problem, windows loads up when we put the old mobo/processor back in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

It could be that you CMOS battery needs replacing.

It would help a great deal if you would include the make and model of your motherboard, CPU, and RAM.

Are you sure that your RAM is compatible with your motherboard?

did you maybe flash your bios badly?

It could be that you CMOS battery needs replacing.

It would help a great deal if you would include the make and model of your motherboard, CPU, and RAM.

Are you sure that your RAM is compatible with your motherboard?

The ram is a 1 gig stick of Ultra, at 400MHz.

Here's a link to the ram:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1071020&sku=ULT31664&CMP=ILC-RNV01

And the mobo/processor:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2665472

I'm not quite sure how I would "flash the bios badly." The CMOS battery is part of the motherboard, right? ...since it's brand new, it should be working. I have no clue what's going on, hopefully with the mobo information you guys can help.

Thanks for the assistance!

Just because the the motherboard is new doesn't mean that the battery has to be good. Stranger things have happened.

you may/will need to reload windows because of the conflict with the old boards drivers ,
you maybe able to install over winxp by doing this ,put the winxp disk in the drive, boot to it ,when it asks do you want to install windows or do a repair ,say install, ,on the next screen choose the R for repair instead of enter to install ,this will trigger a overlay of winxp and install the new mother board drivers ,microsofts versions ,if this works ,you can then use the boards driver disk of the manufacturers web site to install there drivers .

Edit=
I reread you post and if you put the old board and cpu back in and it works then you can uninstall the old boards chipset drivers and shut down and then change to the new and windows should load the new boards chipset drivers on boot up.

bottom line is, your winxp install doesnt recognize you new hardware !

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.