G'day, my computer has been running fun no problems at all but recently ive started playing a new game on it 9dragons, not sure if you have heard of it but anyway ive noticed it acting a little funny like after playing trying to shut down and a message comming up saying 9dragons needs to close and asks if i want to end task. that is the only thing i have noticed, then about a week of this happening i go to turn on my computer and it goes to the screen asking how i want to start, safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, last known good config, and start windows normally. no matter what i choose it trys to start windows xp a blue screen flashes up too quick to read and it restarts!

If anyone has any ideas that would be great and if you need more info please just ask!

thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I think you will have to format your drive and install XP again.

are you sure thats all i can do? i should mention that when it restarts it goes straight back to the selection screen of choosing how to start xp.

any ideas on what has happened and whats caused it?

Many reasons, sometimes it could be a corrupted memory, intermittent hard disk failure, driver issues, or a conflict with your hardware or boot files may have been corrupted. Since you won't be able to get the error messages during startup. I think the best way and easy to do is a clean install.

In your case, I am not sure but I think it was a driver issue with your video adapter. If your computer can boot to safe mode, try removing your video adapter driver and restart. Check what will happen.

It's hard to troubleshoot if your computer is not giving any informations or clues about its failure.

Or okay, try this first. Sometimes it works.

Go to Recovery Console.

When you are prompted, type the administrator password, and then press ENTER (if none was set, leave it blank and press ENTER).

At the command prompt, type bootcfg /list, and then press ENTER. The entries in your current Boot.ini file appear on the screen.

At the command prompt, type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER. This command scans the hard disks of your computer then displays the results. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to add the Windows installations to the Boot.ini file. For example, follow these steps to add a Windows XP installation to the Boot.ini file:

a. When you receive a message that is similar to the following message:
Total Identified Windows Installs: 1
[1] C:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)
Press Y hit ENTER.

b. When, you receive a message that is similar to the following message:
Enter Load Identifier
This is the name of the operating system. Type the name of your operating system, and then press ENTER. The name is either Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.

c. When you receive a message that is similar to the following:
Enter OS Load options
Type /fastdetect, and then press ENTER.

Take the CD out of the drive.

Type exit then press ENTER.

Note: The instructions that appear on your screen may be different, depending on the configuration of your computer.

If none of these worked, I would recommend a clean install. It's up to you or wait for the others ideas.

ok mate ill give it a go thanks for taking the time to help

Okay. good luck!

just an update i put an xp cd in booted up and said recovery and it came up saying xp could not find a hard drive?

does this mean my hard rive has died?

Be sure your hard drive is recognized by the bios. If not, the ide and power cables might be loose. Check them.

If you are using a sata drive as your boot drive, you will have to load the raid controller driver during setup.

If the problem still persists, give some info about your system especially the XP cd you are using.

Best way to help us help you is that you manage to read that BSOD.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.