Member Avatar for BillCCHKK

Hello Everyone,

I have an old (3 years) Compaq Presario 2500 (p/n DP662AV) laptop that was working fine until my son spilled a cup of water in it. He then proceeded to turn it off, clean up the outside, pack it away in its case, and not tell me about it until a week later, when my daughter pulled it out and booted it up. At that point, it wouldn't boot successfully.

I pulled the battery, opened it up as much as I could, and left it out to air dry. After that, it did successfully boot up a couple of times, but not reliably. I then proceeded to take it completely apart and leave it out to dry (well, it was no longer under warranty, so I wasn't voiding anything). I put it back together again, but it still won't boot.

The power is working, the battery charges, the power/network/sound/etc. lights come on, the fans spin up, it sounds like the boot is hitting the CD-ROM drive, but the screen is blank, no BIOS or anything. To verify that it wasn't a problem with the display, I hooked on an external one, and tried to get it to boot from a Linux boot disk, but to no avail.

At this point, I've done everything I can think of except for cleaning the motherboard with distilled water. The other thing I was wondering was if a short in the computer or the long, unplugged storage time had reset the BIOS. The Presario manual I have says that if you replace the motherboard, you have to reset the BIOS from a floppy before you can boot. I'm wondering if the same thing might help my situation.

So, what do you think? Fired hardware? Or possible software problem?

Thanks,
- Bill

Look for a hole marked " RESET " located underneath of your laptop. Use straightened paper clip or ballpen tip to reset the BIOS through that hole.

Or

Find your cmos battery on the motherboard. Leave it out for 1 hr or more then put it back again to its holder. Be careful, not all cmos batteries are removable or soldered.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.