Hi,

I'm having some issues with memory. I just installed two new modules of this Crucial memory. This is the memory that I installed a while ago (2 x 1GB) . Both memories are compatible with my motherboard. The system, it seems, sees only 2 modules. Please click here and here to see screen shots of the Task Manager. I have tried switching both pairs and putting them into different slots, but whatever I did, the Task Manager showed only 2 modules.

Then I run PC Wizard, and the wizard sees all 4 modules. Screen shots are here and here.

Any ideas on how to tell Windows there is more juice?

Thanks a lot!
Exp.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Check your systems manual to see if it supports more than 2GB RAM.

May be your Mother Board does not support more than 2GB.

Yes it does. It supports up to 4GB. Here is the link: LINK

May be your Mother Board does not support more than 2GB.

Are you sure that it is the correct type of RAM?
Also check to see that they are properly seated into the ports, also check that the contacts are not smudged, use a pencil eraser to whip off any muck which may hinder the contacts.

Are you sure that it is the correct type of RAM?
Also check to see that they are properly seated into the ports, also check that the contacts are not smudged, use a pencil eraser to whip off any muck which may hinder the contacts.

Before I purchased it, I ran newegg's memory configurator, which listed this memory as compatible. Most importantly, the PC works flawlessly when I take out the old memory and leave the new in. So that's not the issue. According to my findings, this has to do something with the XP Pro's (32-bit) inability to work with more than 2GB. There seem to be some workarounds but it just seems way too complicated for me. Dunno. Will keep trying.

Thanks to all...

You could try vista if you wanted a fairly cheapish way of fixing it, i believe it can support the amount of RAM that you are wanting to use.

Which version of windows are you running?

XP Pro (32-bit)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.