Hi all
I have a problem with my IBM A31 laptop that is driving me nuts. It is a pentium M 1.6, 512 ram, 30gig hdd, Windows XP Pro SP2. Everything is up to date, Bios, Windows XP, Drivers everything. It continually Locks up or freezes randomly. I have reinstalled windows several times to no avail it will freeze up from the moment windows finishes installing untill after everything is up to date. Sometimes it will run for 1 hour without problems and then sometimes 1 minute.
I have run memtest and the memory is fine (i have tryed new memory and in different slots)
I have run Hitachi Drive test Fine
I have run IBM PC DOCTOR it tells me everything is fine.
But the big poser to all of this is that it will run in Safe Mode for ever, which makes me think its an add on card or something like that.
Any thoughts no matter what would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Geoff

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Overheat can also cause the computer to freeze.
The processor fan may be failing in your computer, observe it. Be careful to clean both the heat sink and the processor fan.

Thanks Fren If i run the laptop in safe mode it will run all day, if i leave a screensaver running it will continue to run all day untill i move the cursor then after a minute or so it freezes which tells me its not overheating. To make things worse i have an IBM T23 which is doing the exact same thing

Run scandisk or check disk in winxp (check all check boxes in the "Check disk options" field) and defragment your hard disk.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.