When I plug in any USB digital camera to my Sony laptop, Windows finds the new hardware (disk drive), and installs it, but then the hardware cannot work due to the following error:"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. To fix this problem you can first try running a Troubleshooting Wizard. If that does not work, you should uninstall and then reinstall the hardware device. (Code 19)"
This happens with any camera (not just mine) and with the built-in sony memory card reader. Any help would be appreciated. Regards.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

You need to install the drivers that came with the device to make sure it is detected as a Digital Camera, and not as a disk drive. Pop the disc in and start the setup procedure from there.

Thanks for this, but the problem turned out to be due to a malicious spyware.

You need to install the drivers that came with the device to make sure it is detected as a Digital Camera, and not as a disk drive. Pop the disc in and start the setup procedure from there.

Glad to hear you were able to resolved your issue.

Hi there,

I know, its kind of an old thread. But I was just having some issues that seemed very similar.

I bought a digital camera and it worked wonderfully for about 3 or 4 months. Then one day, i plugged it into my computer to upload some pictures, and the computer wouldn't recognize that the camera was plugged into the USB. So the first thing i thought was, "great, my USB is messed up." But i plugged it into different USB ports: same problem.

Went into device manager, and i get this message under Digital Still Camera: "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

You said that it was malicious spyware??? hmmm? Help?

From my experience, this is what I recommed you do:

1) Highlight the camera in device manager, and then delete it. Windows will the re-install it the next time you connect iyt to any USB port. See if it works.

2) If it does not work, start your PC in safe mode (press F8 after starting on your PC), and then try to use the camera. If the camera works, then you you probably have some kind of spyware/adware that loads upon system start and that interfears with your camera operations. Clean your PC with a good anti spyware software, and try again. If it still does not work, look at the tasks that are loaded during start-up, and disable all start-up entries that look suspicious, until you find the one that creates the problem(usually antivirus/antispyware softwares allow you to look at how your startup is organized).

Good luck

Hi there,

I know, its kind of an old thread. But I was just having some issues that seemed very similar.

I bought a digital camera and it worked wonderfully for about 3 or 4 months. Then one day, i plugged it into my computer to upload some pictures, and the computer wouldn't recognize that the camera was plugged into the USB. So the first thing i thought was, "great, my USB is messed up." But i plugged it into different USB ports: same problem.

Went into device manager, and i get this message under Digital Still Camera: "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

You said that it was malicious spyware??? hmmm? Help?

Thanks! Will do.

And I'll be sure to post back to let you know how it went.

Right,

so I logged on in Safe Mode, plugged in my camera, and nothing happened. No little noise that says a device has been plugged in, no window popping up. I'm not all familiar with the nuances of Safe Mode, so im not sure what was supposed to not happen...

In any case, I went into Device Manager, and the little red circle with the exclamation mark (or X or whatever) wasn't there. However, maybe that is just what happens in Safe Mode? I'm not really sure.

Uninstalling the driver does nothing, reinstalling it manually is likewise fruitless. Uhm, so yea? Any ideas?

Scan your PC for infections.

Right,

so I logged on in Safe Mode, plugged in my camera, and nothing happened. No little noise that says a device has been plugged in, no window popping up. I'm not all familiar with the nuances of Safe Mode, so im not sure what was supposed to not happen...

In any case, I went into Device Manager, and the little red circle with the exclamation mark (or X or whatever) wasn't there. However, maybe that is just what happens in Safe Mode? I'm not really sure.

Uninstalling the driver does nothing, reinstalling it manually is likewise fruitless. Uhm, so yea? Any ideas?

I have numerous spyware/ad-ware removal programs. They all find mostly the same things each time. Cleaning them doesn't do much.

I ran into this issue when I uninstalled my logitech camera. It deleted by LVMVDRV.SYS but left a reference to it in the registry. I found the fix below on usbeverything.com. I'm posting it here because this thread appears to be returned highly ranked during a search for a resolution.

The spyware/ad-ware reply is completely off.

The solution:
1) Reboot into safe mode (press F8 at startup), navigate to C:\windows\system32\drivers, and rename the file lvmvdrv.sys to lvmvdrv.sys.backup

2) Open the registry editor (Start > Run > regedit > OK) and in the left pane navigate down to My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlS
et\Control\Class\{6BDD1FC6-810F-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}.

3) Right click that key (the folder icon you just navigated to) and select Export. Save this to your desktop for now. If for some reason things don't work out after all is said and done, you can double click this file and undo the rename from step 1, reboot, and you'll be back where you started.

4) With the key you just exported being selected in the left pane, on the right you should see a Multi String Value named LowerFilters, with lvmvdrv as it's data. Right click this MSV and delete it.

5) Reboot. Your imaging devices should be working now.

commented: This is the real solution. +3
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.