Hey there, I just joined the forum and I have a feeling I'll be back for much more.

I just got a laptop from my girlfriend which needed a lot of work and I finally have it up and running, clean as a whistle, with XP loaded and everything is working fine.

However, when I go into System Properties (right clicked on My Computer and chose properties) it's telling me the CPU is running at 798 MHz, and CPU-Z confirmed this. The BIOS, however, reports the processor as being 1.6 GHz. I found the drivers for my CPU (Mobile AMD Athlon XP-M 3000+) which came with the laptop (Compaq Presario R3310CA) but it didn't change it.

The setup screen shows the speed, but there are no options to change the clock speed or multipliers. I was considering flashing the BIOS to see if I can get a screen like that, but I'm unsure if there are flashes available.

Any ideas/comments?

Thanks a ton

-AC

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

It is normal the processor speed will vary based on the amount of demand. It saves power to your battery and puts the processor in stable temperature condition.

I never tried this in AMD processor but if you wish to run it at its rated speed. Try to set your power schemes in "Always On or Home/Office Desktop" under Power Options.

Or try to disable "Cool n Quiet" in the bios.

no, it was already set up that way, as Always On.

I guess I'm on my own on this one, but thanks anyways

Try also the Home/Office Desktop option and restart your computer.

yeah, I did that and now it's running at 1.6GHz, but I haven't really notice a change in my performance.

not to mention, isn't this processor supposed to be running even faster than that?

it's an AMD, as I said. CPU-Z is telling me this: ( http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=238183 )

Core Speed: 1598.6 MHz (Multiplier X8.0 (which drops to 4 when I take it off AC power, so Fren, you're right on that one))
FSB: 199.5Mhz

I was reading on some other forums that this processor should be over 2GHz, but I can't find any specs for it online that are anywhere near official. Not to mention I hate the fucking BIOS on this thing, cause I can't change ANY options, I guess thats what I get for a Compaq Presario.

that's my other question, is there anyway to get a better BIOS on this thing?

CPU-Z reports:

Motherboard model: Compal (compaq?) 08A0 32.3
Chipset: nVidia nForce3 150
BIOS: Hewlett-Packard F.21 09/02/2004 (seems really old to me, but I can't find a newer one on the HP website)

Are there flashes availiable for this motherboard that aren't made my HP, like a Phoenix BIOS that's compatible?

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated. I'm not a newbie, I've just never dealt with laptop hardware and problems before, everything is just slightly different than what I'm used to. Not to mention I would never buy an HP or Compaq computer, my desktop was put together piece by piece by myself. Can't stand pre-made crap packages they sell these days!

If you have not found any bios upgrade from the manufacturer. It means to say no correction or revision has been made on that version.

I don't think you can speed up the processor. Firstly, your motherboard doesn't have an overclocking option. It is also not recommended to do it in laptop (just a thought) since it creates more intense heat that causes an overheating problem and there is no room for the air flow.

The best thing to do is upgrade your ram. Your ram is still upgradable up to 1.2GB.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.