My previous computer setup was: motherboard(P5NSLI), processor(Intel Core 2 2.4), video card(7950 GTX), 550 watt power supply, 2 CD drives, 1 floppy. I purchased a new case that came with a 1000 watt power supply, and also a zalman cpu fan. I transferred everything over to the new case. Swapped out the 550 power supply with the 1000, and changed out the cpu heat sink with the zalman cpu fan/heat sink. After everything was setup I pressed the power button and nothing comes up on the screen. The slave CD drive has a green led that stays on, and neither one will open when I press eject. All of the fans attached to the motherboard function. The motherboard’s led is on. I hooked everything back up the way it once was and I still have the same result. When I detach the PATA cable from the CD drives they both eject when pressed. I am thinking that the power supply may have messed up my processor or motherboard, but I’m not sure. Even if the processor is not installed won’t the screen still load up and go into the BIOS? Any help would be appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Put the original processor fan and its heatsink back again and double check the internal connections especially from the front case to the motherboard (power button switch, etc.). Remove memory sticks and video card and put them back again in their slots.

u might also want to check the jumper setting on the cdroms and make sure the pata cable is align to the right drive slave and master setting.

well... I switched out the boards. The new board does the same thing. So its not the board. I switched around the CD drives. One of them continues to show a green led no matter if it is set to slave or master. Still no display on the monitor. Connectors from case to to board that are connected are(speaker grnd, pwr/gdn, reset, pwr led, hdd led). I also have 1 firewire and 2 usb, and a speaker/mic for the front of the case that are not currently connected, but that should not effect the display.

Also connected to the board is 4 pin power then the 24 pin ATX main power connector. Both are firmly secured. Then the graphics card is inserted and the case fan is connected. The original heat sink is also connected.

Try it first, clear the cmos. Pull the cmos battery out for few minutes then put it back again to its battery holder. Boot your system. See if it will help.

Test it out of the case and run it with essential components (only motherboard, processor, one ram, video card, and the power supply). Switch it on directly through the power pin terminals from the motherboard.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.