When i turn my computer on it sounds like it wants to start but then all i get is a blank screen with a flashing line and it wont let me do anything else

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

it sounds like a dead/corrupted hard disk, try reinstalling windows (if it lets you) - you will probably lose all your stuff

I would think you'd get an error message if the HD is dead.
Check the video cable for a good connection.
What's the make and model of this machine?
Do you have a restore or install disk?
What's the OS?

If your computer beeps more than what it used to, then I think its your RAM which has the fault.

hi, disagree with comment abour error msg for failed hdd. not true. had the same problem with a clompkak, sorry compaq, so it sounds to me like your hdd has sailed off into the sunset and is looking for a retirement village. unless you are very, very lucky and have good backups, which all us techies advise but never do ourselves, kiss your apps and data goodbye.
or, if you're desperate, like the housewives on tv, you can try what i did, which i really don't advise, but what the heck, you only live once, or twice if you're seriously unlucky, and give your hdd a smart smack as it starts booting. Sometimes, hdd read/write heads get stuck in a certain position and the shock of a sideways smack can free up the head.

i froze my hard disk then ran it - worked for about an hour before dying completeley (enough to get my data off)

If the problem is with the Hard Disc you may lose all our data,however if the disc is under warranty send it back and ask the manufacturer to retrieve your data for you.

With the fault info provided it is far too early to go blaming everything on your hard drive. In fact, if all you are seeing on the screen from power on is a flashing cursor then there is a fair chance that it is not your hard drive at fault.
Have you recently performed any BIOS updates on your PC. Is there possibly a poorly seated PCI device in one of your PCI slots or any other peripheral which may have got loose.
If you have a floppy drive try inserting a floppy into it and then power on. If you get an error message then it probably is your Hard drive. However, if all remains the same I would probably move onto memory from there.

Make sure your RAM CARD is firmly in place!

If it is not,all you will get is beeping,etc.......

Good luck!

i have a computer that when u turn it on u can hear it booting up and then it stops the fan stops and it doesnt go any further....nothing comes up it doesnt get anywhere... u cant turn it off u have to unplug it from the back...and even after u unplug the POWER SOURCE the lil blue light at the button is still blinking...any suggestions?

its meant to do that

the PSU stores residual power

Try turning the power off at the wall then pull out the round battery on the motherboard. Leave it out for a couple of minutes then place it back in exactly as it came out.
Turn the power back on at the wall and boot back into the BIOS by pressing the delete button on the keyboard. It may also be the F5, I'm not sure as it depends on the manufacturer.
Once you are in the BIOS, reset the time and date. Look for a setting that allows you to select Optimal. Choose that by hitting the Enter button. Hit the F10 button or select the option to Save and Exit and hit Enter.
See if it boots up now

This might ring a bell!!

i did that and it did the same thing..started up then stopped

Is this the same as the time you tried to install a network card???

no it is totally different.... i didnt touch anything ..just turned the power strip on and waited then turned the computer on... so i dont kno ... i took the battery out like i did that one time but i couldnt even get pass the start up part to hit delete or F5...

i have a computer that when u turn it on u can hear it booting up and then it stops the fan stops and it doesnt go any further....nothing comes up it doesnt get anywhere... u cant turn it off u have to unplug it from the back...and even after u unplug the POWER SOURCE the lil blue light at the button is still blinking...any suggestions?

Suggestion #1. Don't hijack threads. This was started by Lakersrulz, who seems to have disappeared, so now it's getting confusing as to who has what problems. In the future, start your own thread for clarity.
Suggestions #2. Try a repair install:
XP Repair install
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

didnt mean to HIJACK the thread....sorry....i had two windows open on the day i posted my question and i posted in the wrong window....again im sorry

No problem. Let us know what happens.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.