Hi All,

I have a hp probook 4515s, I forgot to shut my computer down on sunday, when I attempted to start my l/top, it gives me the message windows did not start sucessfully, when I attempt to go in to safe mode, i get this long list of programs multi 0 disk rdisk partition etc, a blue screen flashes and it goes so quickly, then it starts all over again, I have tried f8, still getting same problem, can anyone please help as I cannot access my l/top at all, my operating system is xp, but I do not have orginal disk, I cannot afford another laptop, what do I do, any assistance would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks in advance

Kysanji

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

you should be able to leave you laptop on with out any problems ,what was it sitting on when left on.
my wife once left here laptop on for 4 or 5 weeks while downloading a 60 gig file of the net ,it never batted and eye the whole time

you should be able to leave you laptop on with out any problems ,what was it sitting on when left on.
my wife once left here laptop on for 4 or 5 weeks while downloading a 60 gig file of the net ,it never batted and eye the whole time

Hi Caperjack,

Thanks for the reply, it was sitting on a chair, I did not turn off l/top, I was not downloading anything, and I also have security provided by my broadband suppliers.

what version of windows are you using ,you need to boot to your windows cd and do a repair
if it winxp ,so you boot to the winxp disk nd choose "R" you need to go to the recovery consul and do a,
chkdsk /r

what version of windows are you using ,you need to boot to your windows cd and do a repair
if it winxp ,so you boot to the winxp disk nd choose "R" you need to go to the recovery consul and do a,
chkdsk /r

As you can see from my orginal post, i do not have orginal cd for windows, my operating system is xp.

perhaps you could borrow one from a friend,or someone else will post an alternative here.
does the laptop have a floppy drive in it.if so you can get and make the floppy bootdisk set from microsoft .
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

Maybe it overheated and something burned?

Try installing Ubuntu. It is free, and I find it much better then Windows.

Maybe it overheated and something burned?

Try installing Ubuntu. It is free, and I find it much better then Windows.

Thanks

Worst mistake these days is, circulation is restricted underneath and leaving it on a surface can cause overheating, including the harddrive.

Can you download a Boot CD and see if you can access the the drive, as it maybe the mbr corrupt.

I am sure someone here, can advise on a good BootCD. I have a paid one ERD Commander, so have never needed another.

Here's a boot disc with a recovery console on it; the console runs from the cd so you don't need an xp cd or any files from your C drive. I know it works. All you need is an image burner like Nero 6, CD Writer...
Tips... unzip the file to get the iso and then BURN THE IMAGE. Do not use Data CD or any other mode cos all you will get is a copy of the iso [which you have already...and your new CD will not be bootable]; if you look at the files on your new cd and see .iso mentioned anywhere, start over. You merely select Burn an Image, browse to and select the .iso and press Burn. That is all it takes. Burn it to a CD-RW if you wish; there is no need to close/finalise the CD whether it is a RW or R. Multisession works fine. If you use a CD-RW then hold the burn speed lowish, say 4x.

http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/tools/bootdiscs/xp_rec_con.zip

Run chkdsk to perform a simple check of the drive. If there are any errors reported you must then do chkdsk /p to attempt to recover them, and follow with chkdsk to see if it is fixed. If not, try /p again, and so on [chkdsk with no parameter will not fix a thing]. You can just run chkdsk /p immediately if you wish.

commented: Thanks +4
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.