Hi everyone. I have a wierd problem with my computer. I have a Dell Inspiron 9100 running Windows XP Professional SP2. Just recently, when I've been opening "My Computer" from the start menu........... its been giving me the stupid message that im sure everyone is fed up with.... "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." It gives me the options to Debug, Send Error Report, or Don't Send. I clicked on the option to see what the error report contains. I copyed exactly what it said here:

-------ERROR SIGNATURE ---------
AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: unknown
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00000000

-------REPORTING DETAILS--------
This error report includes: information regarding the condition of Windows Explorer when the problem occurred; the operating system version and computer hardware in use; your Digital Product ID, which could be used to identify your license; and the Internet Protocol (IP) address of your computer.

We do not intentionally collect your files, name, address.....................

Wierd huh? Any suggestions. I have been getting this stupid message quite often. Any help is appreciated!!!!! :)

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Member Avatar for TKSS

2 questions:

1. Do you have Symantec Antivirus installed?
2. Have you downloaded and installed a program called "Process Explorer" which can tell you what process is using what file, dll's etc.

On number one, kill symantec's processes. Defwatch.exe, ccEvtmgr.exe, etc. They can cause explorer crashes. NAV (norton anti-virus) takes a TON of memory and CPU time. It also installs about 3 different programs to do the scans and realtime scans as well as the updates. It's a bloated pig that keeps eating. Get rid of that junk and get a better antivirus like NOD32 or Kaspersky. I recommend Kaspersky. If you need links, ask me and I'll post them.

On number two, uninstall that program :P

FYI, it may not apply to your exact situation but there is also a VERY detailed thread in a forum related to explorer.exe crashes: http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=13&threadid=52978&enterthread=y

...................no.................. i have McAfee Virus Scan. Any other solutions?

Member Avatar for TKSS

...................no.................. i have McAfee Virus Scan. Any other solutions?

Just that last forum thread I posted a link to ;)

o ok. sorry. didn't see the link! Thanks!

Maybe u should reformat it + reinstall the OS...i think...

HAHA! I got that computer fixed by now. Thanks anyways. Come to think of it.... I don't even have that computer anymore. I switched to macintosh. SOOOO much better than stupid pee-cee.

What I hate about Microsoft is that if there is even just a little tiny problem, the WHOLE dang thing has to be reformatted.....which is a very time consuming process.

Oh well.... haven't had any problems with my G5 yet!

I keep getting error "the file or directory C:\program files\common files\symantic shared\eengine\epersist.dat is corrupt and unreadable. Please run chkdsk utility. what is this caused from.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.