I get an error as below when I try to boot my Linux server:-

/data contains a file system with errors, check forced.
Error reading block 7700497(Attempt to read block from
filesystem resulted in short read) while doing inode scan.

/data:UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck manually.
(i.e., without -a or -p options)
[FAILED]
***An error occured during the file system check.
***Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
***when you leave the shell.
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D for normal startup):

Contributors
Replies
Views
13 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by alc6379

Hi,

Type in the root password at the prompt. You should get a shell.

/data maps to some partition on your hard drive, such as /dev/hda3 You will need to find that out. Perhaps you can "cat /etc/fstab" and see the mapping. You cannot use "df", as it is likely that /data is not mounted at this point.

When you find out your actual partition, you want to run fsck:

"fsck -a /dev/hdaX" where X is that partition. The -a says "fix errors automatically"

You might wish to run the command several times.

Let us know how it works. If you need to replace /data with a second hard drive, or move it to another place, that can be done rather easily.

Christian

Um...

You already asked this exact question before, and I posted the answer to it already. Please don't double-post. Here is the old post:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread11297.html

But, for the record, you wouldn't want to use the -a option for fsck in this instance. What this error message tells you is that whatever problem it found needs to be dealt with manually, and not by issuing the -a option when you're in the Single User mode.

Now closing this thread. Let's try and keep discussion in the older, already existing, thread.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.