I just installed fedora 9 and finally got everything working. I configured my router to assign static ip to this box (i guess i don't have to install ddclient) I have a dyndns.com account and set my dns name to the static ip I mentioned to this box.

Could anyone please indicate me how to make my fedora box a home server so I can telnet or use ssh and ftp to my home server?

Apparently this issue has been solved, presumably marked so by yourself. Could you please post up what the solution was so that others can learn?

sure i can. it was actually easier than I thought. To do that I had to register for a domain name, and set my domain name to the static ip representing my server. (I configured my router earlier to give a static ip to this specific box every time it reboots) Then everything follows, all i had to do to try this out is to open up my ssh or telnet, and enter the domain name , username, password and then login.

one more thing is you might need to open up ssh , telnet, and ftp ports so remote pc can come in the server through the specific port.

hope that helps ppl trying to learn like me ==*

commented: V helpful post +5

Yea that's cool. Cheers

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.