I just purchased an HP Envy 5642. I can print to it from Linux without a problem but I don't see a way to scan. When I hit scan on the printer it tells me to turn on the appropriate HP application in Windows which I am not running. I followed the HP Linux links for downloading hplip (HP Linux Imaging & Printing) but I actually found that I already have that program instealled.

garrett@mint-desktop ~ $ sudo apt-get install hplip
[sudo] password for garrett:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
hplip is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 47 not upgraded.

How can I scan from the HP Envy 5642 without having to scan to email or scan to flash drive. I want to be able to scan directly to my Linux Mint OS.

Contributors
Replies
Views
2 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Gribouillis

Hi,

on terminal write hp- then hit tab, you should see:

hp-align               hp-info                hp-query
hp-check               hp-levels              hp-scan
hp-clean               hp-logcapture          hp-setup
hp-colorcal            hp-makeuri             hp-testpage
hp-config_usb_printer  hp-pkservice           hp-timedate
hp-doctor              hp-plugin              hp-unload
hp-firmware            hp-plugin-ubuntu       
hp-hpdio               hp-probe        

Which are the utils installed by the hplip package, among them there is also the command hp-scan but you need to setup the printer, so try hp-info to see if it's detected... you can also install the GUI, package name is hplip-gui.

Edited by cereal

hp-info returned no device found and the printer/scanner is turned on and plugged in via the USB. I don't think HP has any Linux support for this model. I'm going to have to keep booting into microshaft window$ just to save a scaned image then bring it over to my Linux system. Thanks.

I'm running Linux Mint 17 and it's on the list but nothing I try is working. I also tried hp-setup but it couldn't find the device, it is plugged in via USB.

In hp-setup I also found an option called 'Manual Discovery' with a text box labeled 'USB bus ID:device ID (bbb:ddd):'

This is what I get from lsusb

Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 004: ID 0557:2212 ATEN International Co., Ltd 
Bus 005 Device 003: ID 0461:4d64 Primax Electronics, Ltd 
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0557:8021 ATEN International Co., Ltd 
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 03f0:cc11 Hewlett-Packard 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

I tyred entering 001:003 & 03f0:cc11 into the that text area but it still couldn't find anything.

I finally got it. I didnt' have the latest version of hplip and the latest isn't the latest version in the Ubuntu repositories either. I was able to download it directly from the site and now everything is working just fine.

the latest isn't the latest version in the Ubuntu repositories

This is not so unusual. I often have this issue with python modules, which I then install with pip instead of apt-get, until the correct version comes into the ubuntu repositories.

Edited by Gribouillis

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.