I have got problem with my friend's iMAC G5, that Safari won't launch on Mac OS X 10.3.9.

What I did was below

1- Go to Hard Disk/Library/Receipts and delete all files referring to Safari

2- Go to Home/Library/and delete the folder Safari (I will lose the bookmarks)

3- Then I downloaded Safari from the link below:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/safari.html

But still Safari won't relaunch.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

First of all, you should run Software Update to make sure that all your software is current. Safari might even be included in this, as the latest version is 1.3.2. Regardless, you should make sure that everything is up to date before proceeding.

If Safari still hasn't been updated, grab the 1.3.1 update, which will then allow you to install the 1.3.2 update.

First of all, you should run Software Update to make sure that all your software is current.

I had already run update, I forgot to say that , but nothing it seems to me updated.

What I did from Apple menu tab I chose : "Software update",,,,Is that right ?

>What I did from Apple menu tab I chose : "Software update",,,,Is that right ?
Yep. Did you try updating before or after you installed Safari 1.2? Try once more just to be certain. If the Software Update still hasn't pulled in Safari 1.3, then you should try installing it from the links I posted.

Did you try updating before or after you installed Safari 1.2?

After I installed Safari.

Try once more just to be certain

I will.

If the Software Update still hasn't pulled in Safari 1.3, then you should try installing it from the links I posted.

I will do that and update you what has happened.

Thanks for your advise.

Try once more just to be certain

I tried again, nothing happened.

If the Software Update still hasn't pulled in Safari 1.3, then you should try installing it from the links I posted.

I received this message :

You cannot install this software on this volume. This system cannot use this software.

Another thing you might want to try: open Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities), and repair disk permissions, then try opening Safari again.

If it still doesn't work, open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities as well), then copy and paste the following command:

/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari

Hit 'enter' to execute it. Finally, could you copy and paste the output resulting from the command here?

Another thing you might want to try: open Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities), and repair disk permissions, then try opening Safari again.

I had already tried that , but it did not work.

I will try your other advice

Hit 'enter' to execute it. Finally, could you copy and paste the output resulting from the command here?

I typed in as below
STATION12:~admin$ /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari
output was

-bash: /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari: No such file or directory

Okay, so I'm assuming that you installed Safari in your Applications folder? What text is produced if you just drag the Safari application onto the Terminal window? (Not the alias from the dock, but the actual application.)

Okay, so I'm assuming that you installed Safari in your Applications folder?

Please correct me if I am doing wrong.

I darg "Safari_1.2.pkg" to the "Application" folder

Then I double clicked the "Safari_1.2.pkg" and installed it

Then restarted the PC

Am I doing right ?

After restart when I opend the "Application" folder again I found only : "Safari_1.2.pkg",,,,I can not drag and drop it to the terminal, because it is directory!!!!

You don't need to drag the Safari.pkg into your Applications folder (although it doesn't do any harm). All you have to do is double-click it, and run through the installer. After doing so, in your Applications folder you should have an application named Safari. Drag this onto the Terminal window, and some text will show on the Terminal window. You do not have to execute this, just copy and paste that text here.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.