Hi,

I have an Mac that freezes frequently, I took it to the local Apple store and they replaced the hard drive. It has been better than it originally was but it has started freezing recently. When it freezes the mouse will continue to be movable but force quit will not open and my only resort is to hold the power button down for ten seconds.

Here is the information form the system profiler:
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09
SMC Version (system): 1.8f2

Additionally, screen artifacts ( I think that's what they are called) like horizontal lines, blue or pink boxes, and distorted portions of the screen. They typically go away when I change to another window. I am not sure if this is related to the first problem but I would like to know how to fix it.

Finally, we recently bought Spore the video game and I thought that our Mac met all the requirements but the game crashes after a few minutes of play if it starts at all.

I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Thank You

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Hello Parva,

first of all: I can't imagine that the problem is caused by the game.

Very strange problem you have there. Personally I would try to replace the computer completely.

What you can try is:
1) Check if your harddisk is full. This may cause the OS to slow down when having used the complete amount of RAM (but I don't think so).
2) Go to "Applications -> Utilities" and open the programme "Activity Monitor". Sort the list of running threats by the percentage of CPU activity. If you have an app running it should be in the range up to 30%. If you have an app that consumes more than 100% stop the process and look if your computer runs more stable.
3) urgently go back to your apple store and insist that your computer defiantly has a problem. It might also be something with your hardware.

That's what I think about your problem. As I said, the easiest thing would be to try to get a new iMac. Never heard about such a problem. I guess it's something serious.

Simon

My hard disk is not full, I recently cleared about 30gb of duplicate pictures and it hasn't frozen since but the screen artifacts still remain. My question about the game is why would it not run if my system meets all the requirements? I tried running the game on our PC laptop ( which doesn't meet all the requirements) and it works fine.

Will the Apple store do anything for me if I do not have Apple Care?

Just a note: When they replaced the harddrive we got upgraded to 10.5 (we had 10.4 before) so now we don't have the disk that goes with this os. Can I still do things like hardware tests and repairing the permissions?

Hi Parva,

Having screen artifacts is definitely an hardware-error. You don't have to have any insurance as this is covered by the guarantee. If the guarantee has run up, you still should get help for (little) money.

The reason for the artifacts can be quite a few. Maybe your screen isn't plugged correctly to the graphic-card or the crystals in your display are broken. In your case I would insist to find the problem at the apple store. Then they can tell you how much it will cost and in case it's not too expensive you simply go for it.

Thanks for the information. Here are some pictures of what it has been doing the first one gives an example of two different issues: the line and then the distorted box in the right. What are the chances the problem will be fixed for free?

This definitely is a case for replacing some part of the hardware. I can't guarantee you anything - I don't know how long you own the computer. But apple should do it for free or do it for quite little money. I bet it's worth going to the apple store.

Thanks for the information. Here are some pictures of what it has been doing the first one gives an example of two different issues: the line and then the distorted box in the right. What are the chances the problem will be fixed for free?

I have exactly the same problems. My Mac is three years old. Now waiting for our system administrator to format the machine and re-install everything. I'll keep updated if that eventually works.

I think this problem occurs due to the failure of any hardware of your mac system. plz took an expert opinion about this matter.

I have exactly the same problem with my 2006 macbook pro.

It started after upgrading to Snow Leopard. So, it does not seem to be a hardware failure. Maybe the SL driver uses the GPU in another way, but I don't know about that.

Hi,

I have an Mac that freezes frequently, I took it to the local Apple store and they replaced the hard drive. It has been better than it originally was but it has started freezing recently. When it freezes the mouse will continue to be movable but force quit will not open and my only resort is to hold the power button down for ten seconds.

Here is the information form the system profiler:
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09
SMC Version (system): 1.8f2

Additionally, screen artifacts ( I think that's what they are called) like horizontal lines, blue or pink boxes, and distorted portions of the screen. They typically go away when I change to another window. I am not sure if this is related to the first problem but I would like to know how to fix it.

Finally, we recently bought Spore the video game and I thought that our Mac met all the requirements but the game crashes after a few minutes of play if it starts at all.

I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Thank You

I have exam

I have exam

I have the same problem. I was wondering if you found a cause or solution solution.

I have the same problem. I was wondering if you found a cause or solution solution.

I got rid of the freezes by updating as much 3rd party software as possible and by running the cleaning scripts of Onyx.

The screen artifacts are still there, every now and then...

Sorry to re hash an old thread but I have had this problem previously with my imac intel late 2006 and it seems that this problem is with the video card. Either try re-seating it or failing that get a new one. The problem will only get worse if left un fixed such as crashing, freezing and rebooting of your machine. As the problem persists the frequency between crashing and the screen artefacts (horizontal lines, coloured boxes and blurring) increases.

I would suggest taking your mac to an apple store or a trusted apple repair outlet, unless you feel confident enough to do it yourself? I've done plenty of HD swaps and RAM changes, but didn't have the stomach for a video card so got my local repair guys to fix it up, now it works fine.

El G

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.