Is it possible and how would I go about putting an OS 10.2 (Jaguar) machine onto a windows workgroup? (i.e. Network Neighborhood/My Network Places). I already use SAMBA to put my Linux machines onto my Windows workgroup with no problems.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Not an answer:
Format
Install Linux

Guess what? I was able to get it working with no problems! (don't ask me what I did though, LOL)

In any case, all my computers can see/read/write to every other computer on the network, and print to my WinXP inkjet AND my Linux laser :)

Update: It turns out that Jaguar (OS 10.2) and Panther (OS 10.3) both have custom versions of Samba built-in, being as OS X is BSD based. :)

Sorry BSD?

Yeap, Mac OS X is entirely based on BSD (as in FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, etc.) with a nice GUI. BSD is a variant of Unix which runs on the x86 architecture. (It's much closer to true Unix than Linux is, although it also sports the open source architecture). Apple worked a miracle when they developed a flavor of Unix with a built-in beautiful GUI seamlessly layered over it.

FreeBSD = A Royal with cheese
"mmhhhmm.....That is a tasty burger."
Mac Os = A Sprite
"To wash this down with."

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.