I have a late 2016 MacBook Pro running the latest version of OS X Sierra 10.12.6

Ever since I got it, I've been having a problem connecting it to external displays.

Firstly, there is the 32" 4K Seiki Pro, connected via a USB-C cable. Most times when the Mac goes to sleep, the display does not come back until I put the computer back to sleep and wake it up, and then connect the cable when it's woken. Apple Support says this is a known bug but there is not currently a fix.

Then there is the LG UltraFine 5K 27" display for Mac, connected via the included Thunderbolt 3 cable. I got it today. It starts out flickery (the best way to describe it is what an old CRT monitor looks like). But then it looks like it's having a seizure, garbling up pictures and random colors and flickering super bad, and being completely chaotic. I'll try to attach a video to better explain. If the Seiki is connected as well, both monitors do the same thing as long as the LG is connected.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Are you definitely using a Thunderbolt 3 cable between your MBP and the 5K monitor?

Incidentally, slightly jealous, I need to get one of those monitors but I'm worried my 2013 MBP might not be beefy enough to drive it smoothly.

You say you are using the cable that came with the display? Have you tried an "official" Apple cable? It is possible that your cable is defective.

So I went looking for this LG and at the Apple site read the reviews at https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HKN62LL/A/lg-ultrafine-5k-display

That was not a happy reading. But did confirm a few things. One, you're not alone in seeing product issues and most of all, the display may have firmware. So that's my input here.

See if the display has a firmware update.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.