Hello everyone,
I have a Sony lv-240J and I it turns on all the fans spin but then there is no beep, no boot, no display or anything. After a couple of minutes it just turns off. I connected a display to it and nothing. I tried to use it as a display, it gets read but nothing on the screen. It has been like this for 5 years and I just bought a new motherboard and still no results. I tried a new hard drive with windows on it, still nothing. One ram stick and without ram still nothing. I don't know what to do at this point. Please help me as soon as you can. Thank you

Bad news I fear. A good motherboard is usually all it takes to bring back a dead laptop. However try the following.

  2. A reset like this. Unplug AC, battery, then press and hold the power button for 60 seconds. Release, apply battery, power and re-test. If this is dead still then you have a dead laptop.

It is an all in one computer. I don't think it has a battery. And when I hold the power thing, do I do it with the mobo or without?

WIthout a motherboard would not make sense as the reset resets something or some motherboards.

As to the battery, I've yet to see a PC without a CMOS battery or a means to power the RTC and settings chip. If you didn't find it, you likely missed it or can't identify parts like that. Google up something like "Where is the CMOS batter on ____"? Fill in with your model number.

At the top where you said remove the ac and battery, did you mean the cmos battery or physical battery for power source. Because this isn't a laptop, it's an all in one desktop computer

That reset is generic and you roll with the changes. Try it without the battery, try it without power for sure. The key here is you must try. This is not what Yoda said. You must try.

Could you make it more simple? All the steps the steps I mean. I don't really understand

Simple as I can. Remove power, press and hold the power button for 60 seconds, release and test the machine. It's just a simple reset that sometimes brings a machine back. If not, it's a deeper problem.

I was just wondering if you had done any upgrades prior to this happening or made any changes to the unit?

If you tried already what they've told and still nothing happens, then here are a few questions I need to ask you.

1- did you experienced anything abnormal on your computing like slowness or freezing before this happens?
2- are you the only one who's using this computer?
3- is this located near a rack where-in there are liquids or liquid container siiting on that rack?
4- how old is this computer of yours, or how many years have you been using this device?

This these:

1- open the back cover of your device, (make sure it's turned off and unplugged feom the power source wall socket).
2- remove the processor and try cleaning the contacts of the processor's grid array pins (motherboard side), and contact pins on your processor side.
3-reinsert your processor and try it again.
4- if you happen to have a VOM, try measuring for the 12volt, 5volt, and the 3.3volt power rail after you have pressed the power button.

1- no it was perfectly normal
2- yes i am the only one using it
4- it stopped working like the display and everything 7 years ago.
Also I have not been trying to upgrade anything

Sounds like you've reached the end of your own repair skills. Get estimates as most of these are cheaper to replace than fix.