Hi, I just signed up for this since many of the threads seemed helpful. I'm hoping someone can help me with a Mac OS X 10.2.8 problem.

I recently purchased an HP Deskjet 5440 and it works just great when connected to the USB port directly. I have a Hawking Tech HPS1U 1port USB network print server that I have connected to my switch. It works with the new printer fine from a Windows box.

The problem is that I can't seem to find the "printer driver" to select when I try to set up the Mac for IP printing. I am assuming I should be able to find the driver somewhere since it works for the USB. Can anyone help?

I have used the Hawking print server from this Mac but with a Epson that died but then I could use a GIMP-driver.

HP tech support says they only support direct USB connections but hey, it's a wireless world, ain't it?

Thanks, Doug

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I would suggest installing this...
http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/7339/
before going into the Printer Setup Utility and adding it. (And it does show up in Bonjour, doesn't it?)

I have installed the HP application referenced in this link. This is how it prints through the USB interface.

How do I check if the printer shows up in Bonjour, which I think was called Rendezvous back in OS 10.2? I ws trying to set the printer up through IP Printing but if there is a beter way I'm open to it.

Thanks for the response.

How do I check if the printer shows up in Bonjour, which I think was called Rendezvous back in OS 10.2? I ws trying to set the printer up through IP Printing but if there is a beter way I'm open to it.

Yes, Bonjour was called Rendezvous way back when (Apple had to change it due to legal issues with another company).

OK, this is an OS 10.4 screenshot, but hopefully 10.2 is similar. Note that the tab selected is "Default Browser" and NOT "IP Printer". This HP is has a built-in print server, so I don't need to deal with a USB server, but yours should be similar.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.