I am getting the BlueScreen at some times while I'm on the computer. The error message is as follows:
"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

A wait operation, attach process, or yield was attempted from a DPC routine.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask you hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000B8 (0x89A21170, 0x847559D8, 0x89A0E000, 0x00000000)

Collecting data for crash dump...
Initializing disk for crash dump...
Beginning dump of physical memory.
Dumping physical memory to disk: 100
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system admin or technical support group for further assistance."

Now this is a brand new computer of only 3 weeks. I don't have any newly installed hardware on my computer either. This has been happening for a couple days now and I want to get it solved. Anybody know how to solve this?

Recommended Answers

All 48 Replies

Join the club! :P

Does it work if you boot into safe mode?

Well my computer still runs. I can still do everything on it, but every once in a while when I'm in the middle of something it gives me this BlueScreen and it's really pissing me off.:@

Well from the source which i use it gives me this:
"These are generally hardware issues (which often means driver issues). The articles given below are provided more as examples of the types of situations that trigger this error, rather than concrete solutions. As a rule, be sure you have the latest Service Pack edition of your Windows operating system and are using the best device drivers and software versions. After that, do normal hardware troubleshooting for the device implicated."
have you installed any new hardware recently into your computer, such as graphics cards, hard-drives, USB devices etc. ?
If so check that you have the latest drivers for all the hardware you have. I don't know the process through Vista, but it may be similar to XP, where you go into Control Panel and look for System and then inside system there should be a tab called Hardware, then click onto Device Manager. This is the XP route to find what is needed to be found, in Vista it may be slightly different. Once you have found Device Manager double click onto each of the devices, and click onto the "Driver" tab, then click onto the "Update Driver" button. It will then tell you if you have the most up to date driver for that piece of Hardware.
I hope that helps!

Alright I'll try that, if anyone else has suggestions please post them.

Well all my devices were fully updated so that can't be the problem. Anyone else have any ideas?

Have you installed any new hardware recently?
Such as a Printer, a USB device and the like?

I've installed a printer the day I got the computer (about 3 weeks ago) but I just started seeing the BlueScreen about a week ago.

Do you have the printer connected through a USB cable or through a wireless router (if you have a wireless network)?
Does the BSOD always appear when you have the printer plugged in? If yes then try the computer without the printer plugged in and see if it still BSOD's then the problem may be with the drivers to the printer. To try and avert the problem uninstall the drivers for the printer, reboot the computer and reinstall them.
Otherwise this could be due to a virus/spyware attack. What Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware do you run?

My printer is hooked up through USB cable and it is always plugged in. I have AVG Free Edition installed that moniters my computer, and I have Spy-Bot with the immunization. I also have Ad-Aware Free Edition.

I would run an AVG scan and the Ad-Aware scan just in case something has got through. You could try a hijack this log. That would certainly find the root of the problem. I myself don't understand them but i can get someone to come over and have a look over it.
I believe that this is the most up-to-date version to my knowledge:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5554.html
Download it run it, post the log here, and i shall get someone to have a look over it for ya.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 5:01:09 PM, on 12/16/2007
Platform: Windows Vista (WinNT 6.00.1904)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16575)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\hp\support\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\Windows\RtHDVCpl.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\hpwuSchd2.exe
C:\Windows\system32\schtasks.exe
C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Zune\ZuneLauncher.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Advisor\HPAdvisor.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe
C:\Program Files\Snapfish Picture Mover\SnapfishMediaDetector.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe
C:\hp\kbd\kbd.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\ieuser.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe
C:\Users\Kyle\Downloads\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.gamefaqs.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=74&bd=Pavilion&pf=desktop
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=74&bd=Pavilion&pf=desktop
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\hp\support\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KbdStub.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RtHDVCpl] RtHDVCpl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Health Check Scheduler] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\HPHC_Scheduler.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateReg] "C:\Windows\system32\jureg.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] c:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvSvc] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\nvsvc.dll,nvsvcStart
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zune Launcher] "c:\Program Files\Zune\ZuneLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Launcher] %WINDIR%\SMINST\launcher.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [HPADVISOR] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Advisor\HPAdvisor.exe autoRun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: Snapfish Media Detector.lnk = C:\Program Files\Snapfish Picture Mover\SnapfishMediaDetector.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{987D9242-0748-41B7-82C3-5D3D62D5B19A}: NameServer = 209.244.0.3 209.244.0.4
O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgwlntf - C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\avgwlntf.dll
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft AB - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Resident Shield Service (AvgCoreSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgrssvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: HP Health Check Service - Hewlett-Packard - c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\hphc_service.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - c:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: lxba_device - - C:\Windows\system32\lxbacoms.exe
O23 - Service: RoxMediaDB9 - Sonic Solutions - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9.exe
O23 - Service: SBSD Security Center Service (SBSDWSCService) - Safer Networking Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDWinSec.exe
O23 - Service: stllssvr - MicroVision Development, Inc. - c:\Program Files\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr.exe
O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

--
End of file - 7067 bytes

oh my that is quite alot of programs runnig when you startt he pc, what exactly are you doing when the BSOD happen, browse, games,word processor, do you have windows defender running on the PC? does this PC have a pci video card or onboard? how many stick of memory does it have?

Sometimes the computer is just sitting there and it blue screens. Windows Defender is running I'm pretty sure. It has an onboard card, and it has 3GB of RAM

Sometimes my vista doesn't find the updates for all my drivers and I have to go to the manufacturer's site of the installed items (graphic cards, sound cards, etc). I keep autoupdate on for microsoft also and recommend it. Oh you have x64 bit version of vista, don't you? I'm not familiar with that one. Have you tried running scan disk at bootup? You'll have to set it in windows and when you boot next time it'll run. I'll bet you it's a driver or one of those softwares though.. Maybe you can trouble shoot them by disabling some of them for a bit. (I'd probably get off line to do that for safety reasons).

You sound like a great person, hope this gets going for ya.

xts

I don't think I have the x64 bit version of Vista, I might though. I have run the Windows Update and there are no new updates.

you might be having a conflick with windows defender and avg, uninstall/disable one and see what happen, also i would try and shutdown some of those startup programs, you have way too much starting up with windows, and most not needed.

But would a conflict between the 2 virus programs really be causing the Blue Screen of Death?

yes it can, it is recommended that you dont run both at the same time especially if they are going to start with windows. uninstall one and see what happens

Does Windows Defender still protect against viruses though? I don't wanna be open to them.

not really, it can catch some but not the very elusive ones, see if you can remove windows defender then and give that a try

Windows defender is for spyware isn't it?
AVG covers viruses and Ad-Aware also covers spyware? Is that right?
I have Norton internet security, AVG free and Windows defender running and no BSOD for me.

Isn't windows defender built in? The most you can do is disable it in the security center. I think that stops it from running at start-up.

Alright well that cannot be the problem then.

I think he's saying the problem could be AVG clashing with Windows Defender, and not Defender itself. I would still try disabling the defender if I were you.

Well yeah but Serunson said he had that running with Windows Defender and Norton.

you fail to try any advise you get, Norton and AVG are 2 different program , surenson PC is not having a problem, YOURS IS, it does not hurt to try, if we are making suggestiong and your refuse to follw how are you going to get the problem resolve. YOU seem to know the solution so why not get it fix.

Well i'm using Norton Internet Security 2007 along with AVG 7.5 and Windows Defender. And all works fine, except a really slow startup :P Cursed Norton!
bobbyraw does Windows Defender cover spyware or viruses? Because i am not totally sure...
IF windows defender also covers Viruses, i would consider trying out Ad-Aware.

Back to the issue at hand, i used to get loads of BSOD's during game play, but that was down to an unworthy gfx card and not enough RAM. I would try your system without having defender running at startup, that would be disabling it effectively. You would do that by going into the "RUN" function in the start menu (If it is still there in Vista) and typing "msconfig". Under the Startup tab, find an item called "MSASCui". This relates to Windows defender. Un-tick the box next to that item and click apply. You should then reboot and check that defender is not running in the task manager (ctrl+alt+del). Then hope that a BSOD doesn't show.

I think it might be because I'm using to much RAM or using to much something. As you guys saw in my HiJack This log I am running a lot of programs. The error message also includes this:
"If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode."
Also, the blue screen mostly appears whenever I have Limewire and Internet explorer going at the same time or internet explorer and WMP11 or limewire and WMP11 or a combination of the 3 plus all the other things in the background. Do you think too many programs going at once is the problem?

How much RAM have you got?
Too many programs running at once draining resources, could cause a BSOD. Also what is your CPU speed? Both of these being low can cause problems when you have many programs running in the background. Have you tried disabling some of the programs that run at startup? Goto "Run" then type in "msconfig". Go into the startup tab and un-tick all the programs that are un-necessary. Leave anything that is to do with Windows ticked.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.