Hi guys, you're probably sick of these threads, but i'm no closer to an answer than i ever was.

ok, the motherboard is an asus, the router is a netgear. the OS is vista HmePre.32bit

all drivers are the latest.
there's no firewall running, no antivirus, no nothing.
(until i get this sorted of course)

i've another pc, same network, xp, and behaving as it should.

xp gave me aprox 600Kbs download speeds, vista's giving me 8-15kbs

using firefox as a primary browser.

What do i do? where do i start? is there anything that can be done about it?
amd x2 6000+
asus crosshair
2gig ram
8800 card
320GB hdd raid0

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

wireless or wired connection, are you trying to download files on the net if so from where or from within your home network if so what os are they running firewalls etc....

wireless or wired connection, are you trying to download files on the net if so from where or from within your home network if so what os are they running firewalls etc....

sorry, you can never quite say it all in the first post can you? it's downloading from the internet. Any server, creative.europe, fileplanet, etc. anything at all. and it's a wired connection.

Does your router fully support IPv6? If it doesn't you may have to turn off IPv6 in Vista

Does your router fully support IPv6? If it doesn't you may have to turn off IPv6 in Vista

honestly i'm unsure, the netgear website says it's fully vista compatable, which to me would imply it did, i've turned it off this second, see what happens. i'm gonna guess i'll need to reboot, so i'll do it anyway.

honestly i'm unsure, the netgear website says it's fully vista compatable, which to me would imply it did, i've turned it off this second, see what happens. i'm gonna guess i'll need to reboot, so i'll do it anyway.

no effect

so if you go to a site say download.com and download the same file on two different computers one xp one using vista both on the same router and on a wired connection the vista one will download slower? If so are you using an on board lan ie motherboard lan if so check the driver is from your motherboard manufacture not from microsoft if not update it you need help with that ask and also make sure the firmware on the netgear is updated aswell then tell me if it makes a difference

so if you go to a site say download.com and download the same file on two different computers one xp one using vista both on the same router and on a wired connection the vista one will download slower? If so are you using an on board lan ie motherboard lan if so check the driver is from your motherboard manufacture not from microsoft if not update it you need help with that ask and also make sure the firmware on the netgear is updated aswell then tell me if it makes a difference

turned out it was the motherboard drivers that were the problem, they were the latest drivers... for xp. not vista. DOH! that made all the difference....
mind you, i got someone else to DL them for me, i found a 37.5 MB download telling me it would take 4 hours! now, at last i'm looking at 600-800Kb/s Case closed. thanks for the shouts guys, it's always the little things ya miss.

lol no worries glad it is all sorted!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.