Hello people,

INTRODUCTION

I need help...i've just built myself a new comp and am trying to install Windows Vista Buisness (which my university provides free). I have built the comp and all seems well and fine. The BIOS recognises the dvd/cd drive and the HDD and does'nt make any weird beeping noises.

PROBLEM BRIEF

The problem arises when i put the Vista cd the cd/dvd drive and start the comp. It doesn't autorun the cd and start the instalation process.

TRIED SOLUTIONS

Now i have checked the vista cd (cd 1 of 5) to see if it is burned properly and it seems to work fine and go straight to the install screen when i pop it in my current comp.

I have checked the the cd/dvd drive is set to boot first and that the jumper is on "Master" position.

I also poped my XP professional installation cd in the new comp and that goes straight to the blue screen when the message "Push any button to boot from CD" is displayed. This message doesnt even come up when i put the vista cd in, let alone the blue screen.

The only message that comes up is NTLDR is missing....but i'm guessing thats not an issue as the hard drive is new (blank).

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

it looks like you have to set your bios to boot from cd first. the hdd is probably not so new

it looks like you have to set your bios to boot from cd first. the hdd is probably not so new

"I have checked the the cd/dvd drive is set to boot first and that the jumper is on "Master" position."

As mentioned earlier i've checked that the cd drive is set to boot first in the BIOS.

Regarding the hard drive, it's is relatively new, here's a run down of what i bought.

Athlon 64 X2 5600+ (2.8Ghz)
ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe
Sapphire X1950GT
200GB Seagate Barracuda SATA2(Version: 7200.10)
NEC Optiarc AD-5170A-0B 18xDVD±RW DL
2 GB RAM

could be a bad cdrom

could be a bad cdrom

As mentioned EARLIER,

"Now i have checked the vista cd (cd 1 of 5) to see if it is burned properly and it seems to work fine and go straight to the install screen when i pop it in my current comp."

-.- .....common DimaYasny, i know it's late but i need some help, lol.

Yea, so...i have checked the vista CD that i burnt and found that it works fine and goes straight to the installation screen (autorun works fine) when i put it in my current computer i am using now...

Help me people!!!!

Please, WEEFCORP

Well im still only in training as a Computer Techy so this is a wild guess.

Did it burn the booting part of the CD?
Just a guess...

As mentioned EARLIER,

"Now i have checked the vista cd (cd 1 of 5) to see if it is burned properly and it seems to work fine and go straight to the install screen when i pop it in my current comp."

-.- .....common DimaYasny, i know it's late but i need some help, lol.

Yea, so...i have checked the vista CD that i burnt and found that it works fine and goes straight to the installation screen (autorun works fine) when i put it in my current computer i am using now...

Help me people!!!!

Please, WEEFCORP

I meant the cdrom drive

hi just want to check a few things you say the cd works when you put in your current computer is that from boot or whilst in an operating system environment, if it is from boot then it could be your cd rom drive that is a little buggered you can do the following checks:

Put the cd rom in your current computer (the one it does boot in) and see if it will run from that cd drive in that comp both from boot and from o/s.

Swap the ide cable (i assume its ide) in your new comp could be faulty and check connections are pushed firmly into the motherboard.

Swap the connections, so if the hdd is on ide1 change it to the one the cd is on if they are on the same ide put them on seperate ones if you have two ide slots on your motehrboard (if you have another cable)

If you downloaded it from the msdn then download the dvd it is quicker and easier in the long run as I had similar problems with the cd booting but the dvd worked fine.

If those fail you should have a jumper on your motherboard which you can connect for 3 seconds which will reset the bios. Try this and then set up the boot device priority again.

If that fails then take out the hdd of the new comp and leave the cd drive in and put the vista cd in see if it boots if it is then its most likely a problem with the jumper settings tripple check them or your hdd.

If those fail then its a problem with either your motherboard (most likely) or your cd drive which you can check in your other comp and with software or with your hdd again which can be checked by using your other comp or downloadable software. Let me know what results you get and how you get on!:)

the autorun can only works from within an operating system. However this does not mean the cd is bootable. on the comp that the cd autorun use an iso reader program to determine if the cd is bootable, try winiso and extract the cd image. when it opens the file it will tell u if it's a bootable image.

the autorun can only works from within an operating system. However this does not mean the cd is bootable. on the comp that the cd autorun use an iso reader program to determine if the cd is bootable, try winiso and extract the cd image. when it opens the file it will tell u if it's a bootable image.

Yeah, thats what I was trying to say xD

Bobbyraw and Jugz you nailed it on the head....not bad for a guess, hey Jugz.

The problem was i didn't burn the bootable part, i think i just burnt it as an iso. Hence the reason it worked on my comp with the OS and not the new one.

Well done guys!!

Booya, noob wins again :D

No probs, Im glad I could help with my guesstimate.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.