Hi. I just bought a new laptop and when I tried to connect it to the internet, it said it was connected but I was unable to access any sites. The comp is an HP with Vista Home Premium. When I bought it, I had TrendMicro antivirus and Webroot Spy Sweeper installed, and I also left it at the store for optimization. Whenever I try to get online, IE says it is unable to access the page, but when I try to diagnose the problem, it says there is none. When I tried to set up a new connection in the Networks setup, it said I was already connected. I have tried restarting the comp, but that doesn't work.

My old laptop (which I am currently on - an HP with XP Home) has never had any trouble accessing the internet, and I cannot remember having to do any preference changing when I first connected to the ISP I have.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Issue is resolved. It turns out that when the guys at Best Buy optimized my laptop, they forgot to take off the proxy setting that made it so my computer could only access the internet at a Best Buy store.

I will apologize now for using an inappropriate title for this thread. I of course read the forum rules after I had posted.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.