Hello all, am new to this site. I have an older hp pavillion 7800 that came with 2000 pro. it has long ago been upgraded to xp pro. i recently aquired a laserjet 1100a that works great on my laptop but will not print from the desktop?? I have tried all the help desk fixes, new drivers bios setting for the lpt port, uninstalling and reinstalling everything, different cables etc. When i plug the printer in to the laptop it sees it , installs it and prints.When i plug it in to the desktop it sees it istalls it and seems to print but stops after the job is sent to the printer, the status light just blinks forever and no printing and no error message any help would be greatly appreciated

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hello all, am new to this site. I have an older hp pavillion 7800 that came with 2000 pro. it has long ago been upgraded to xp pro. i recently aquired a laserjet 1100a that works great on my laptop but will not print from the desktop?? I have tried all the help desk fixes, new drivers bios setting for the lpt port, uninstalling and reinstalling everything, different cables etc. When i plug the printer in to the laptop it sees it , installs it and prints.When i plug it in to the desktop it sees it istalls it and seems to print but stops after the job is sent to the printer, the status light just blinks forever and no printing and no error message any help would be greatly appreciated

does the computer have more that one printer installed ,if so is this printer set to be the default printer,if not go to printers in control panel and set it default

Yes I have tried selecting it as default, deselected it and then chosing it from the print menu, printing from command prompt. Nothing seems to help. The printer works perfectly on 2 other machines, both running xp pro, same drivers etc. This computer prints fine using the usb ports hovever it will not print properly to this printer on the lpt1 port. the printer is a hp laserjet and we homeschool so the inkjet conspirscy is running us to the poor house. this printer has been great but... it's a pain having it hooked up to the laptop instead of the desktop cuz the laptop needs to stay mobile. also I'm not sure we have ever printed from this port since we bought this computer. it is an older hp upgraded to xp pro but works well otherwise. is there a driver difference between win2k pro and xp pro for these parrallel ports that could be causing a problem or maybe a bios thing not being a "native xp machine". not my area of expertise unfortunatly. thanks in advance, Andy

well, if everything has been tried, it sounds like a faulty port to me.

if you haven't all ready checked this then check it ,!!
when in printers in control panel right click on the printers icon go properties and ports and make sure its selected for lpt1 and not usb

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.