Hey, i'm trying to fix this laptop for a buddy, and it won't startup.. it goes to straight to the screen with it saying it's sorry for the inconvience but windows couldn't start. then it let me choose from safe mode, start windows from last working configuration, and start windows normally. None of these work. So i put in a boot disk, and it says invalid Boot.ini file, starting from the C:\windows\ and then returns to the Sorry for the inconvience screne once more. Does anyone have suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hey, i'm trying to fix this laptop for a buddy, and it won't startup.. it goes to straight to the screen with it saying it's sorry for the inconvience but windows couldn't start. then it let me choose from safe mode, start windows from last working configuration, and start windows normally. None of these work. So i put in a boot disk, and it says invalid Boot.ini file, starting from the C:\windows\ and then returns to the Sorry for the inconvience screne once more. Does anyone have suggestions?

hello ,first suggestion is to tell us what OS[windows version ]is he using and what boot disk you tried

hello ,first suggestion is to tell us what OS[windows version ]is he using and what boot disk you tried

yeah, sorry about that, it's windows xp home edtion. and the boot disk i used was one that i and another buddy made. we tried a few different Boot.ini files, but not worked. thanks.

ok, here's a boot disc with a recovery console on it; the console runs from the cd so you don't need an xp cd or any files from your C drive. I know it works. All you need is an image burner like Nero 6, CD Writer...
Tips... unzip the file to get the iso and then BURN THE IMAGE. Do not use data cd or any other mode cos all you will get is a copy of the iso [which you will already have]... if you look at the files on your new cd n you see iso anywhere, start over. If you use Nero6 then the defaults for image burning are fine, skip the guff on the web. Burn it to a CD-RW if you wish; there is no need to close the CD whether it is a RW or R, cos later you may wish to add other good files. If you use a CD-R then hold the burn speed lowish, say 4x.
May i leave you to work out what to do with recovery console?
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/Tools/bootdiscs/xp_rec_con.zip

and if don't have a burner ,only floppies you can get floppy boot disk for xp here .
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

see attached doc for insrtuction a fixing invalid boot.ini

Re: computer won't startup, and bootdisk won't work. Invalid Boot.ini.
Jan 7th, 2007
ok, here's a boot disc with a recovery console on it; the console runs from the cd so you don't need an xp cd or any files from your C drive. I know it works. All you need is an image burner like Nero 6, CD Writer...
Tips... unzip the file to get the iso and then BURN THE IMAGE. Do not use data cd or any other mode cos all you will get is a copy of the iso [which you will already have]... if you look at the files on your new cd n you see iso anywhere, start over. If you use Nero6 then the defaults for image burning are fine, skip the guff on the web. Burn it to a CD-RW if you wish; there is no need to close the CD whether it is a RW or R, cos later you may wish to add other good files. If you use a CD-R then hold the burn speed lowish, say 4x.
May i leave you to work out what to do with recovery console?
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/Tool...xp_rec_con.zip

Can u renew the link for me?because i had the same problem :)

thank you

The site exists still, but that file has been removed. If you can borrow an XP disk from someone you would find the Recovery Console on that... and it is naturally a bootable disk. And then, when you finally get your sys running, install the Recovery Console to your hard drive. Follow these steps [copied shamelessly from M$]:
1. Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM drive.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. In the Open box, type d:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons where d is the drive letter for the CD-ROM drive.
You will then have the Recovery Console as a boot option.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.