Hello.

Right now, I use a hub to provide internet to the two computers at my house. Reason why I chose this route was I have heard that some people have connection issues with wireless routers. But not trying to argue this point.

What I am here to ask is:

My little brothers and sisters have Nintendo DS. Looking at there site, it is possible to connect to the online play stuff using either a hotspot or a wireless router.

Now, seeign as there is no hotspot where we live, I was hoping to go the route of wireless router.

So, is it possible to set up a wireless router only for this purpose, still using the hub for internet on my computers? (Neither of the computers we have have wireless network cards). If so, how would I go about doing this?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I think it's possible, but it doesn't seem to make much sense.
The biggest advantage of wireless is the lack of wires, especially when running ethernet is difficult because of distances, walls, etc.
If you have a hub, you have solved the wire problem, so get a wireless router, connect the two hubbed computers with the existing ethernet cable and set up wireless for the Nintendo.
You'll probably have to change your existing internet connection setup, but that's easy enough to do.
Wireless router issues do exist, but modern routers perform very well. Wired connections are always more reliable and faster.

I think it's possible, but it doesn't seem to make much sense.
The biggest advantage of wireless is the lack of wires, especially when running ethernet is difficult because of distances, walls, etc.
If you have a hub, you have solved the wire problem, so get a wireless router, connect the two hubbed computers with the existing ethernet cable and set up wireless for the Nintendo.
You'll probably have to change your existing internet connection setup, but that's easy enough to do.
Wireless router issues do exist, but modern routers perform very well. Wired connections are always more reliable and faster.

Hmmm..could be just tired but I am not fully understanding you.

Right now this is how I am set up:

Phoneline goes into dsl modem, modem's ethernet line goes into hub. Two ethernet lines come from this hub and go to each computer, one downstairs and one upstairs.

Now...let's say the place I wanted to put the wireless router was upstairs where they would play their games, where would this fit in with the above mentioned setup? I mainly want the wireless router to provide internet to just the DS, possibly a laptop later on. The two PC's I would like to remain wired.

Thanks in advance.

Put the (4 port, wireless) router where the hub is, and connect the modem's ethernet line into the WAN or Internet port of the router. To clarify, this provides for up to 4 wired connections. In most cases you should have no problem providing a wireless signal to the DS and any subsequent laptop.
Connect the 2 existing computers to two ports on the router. This will provide DHCP service and internet to those machines.
All you have to do then is enable wireless on the router and connect the DS.
You'll find out more about Router vs. Huib here: (Security is the big advantage)
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/homenetworkhardware/f/routervsswitch.htm

Put the (4 port, wireless) router where the hub is, and connect the modem's ethernet line into the WAN or Internet port of the router. To clarify, this provides for up to 4 wired connections. In most cases you should have no problem providing a wireless signal to the DS and any subsequent laptop.
Connect the 2 existing computers to two ports on the router. This will provide DHCP service and internet to those machines.
All you have to do then is enable wireless on the router and connect the DS.
You'll find out more about Router vs. Huib here: (Security is the big advantage)
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/homenetworkhardware/f/routervsswitch.htm

Okay, so I can get rid of the hub altogether and just use a wireless router that allows wired connections and has a built in wireless access point.

Reading on that site you linked, could I not also obtain my goal by connecting a wireless access point straight to my hub and get the same effect?

Yes. The setup might get a bit complicated-I think you'd have to assign a static IP to the AP, but that's an interesting exercise, and is similar to what I have done.
The router is still better because of the firewall provided by a NAT router, and I imagine the cost isn't much different.
FWIW I prefer Linksys.

Yes. The setup might get a bit complicated-I think you'd have to assign a static IP to the AP, but that's an interesting exercise, and is similar to what I have done.
The router is still better because of the firewall provided by a NAT router, and I imagine the cost isn't much different.
FWIW I prefer Linksys.

Okay, I will look into possibly getting a wireless router. Though my main concern is installing it. How hard is it to install routers? My hub was just plug in, set up a internet connection using username and pw.

It's not much harder. Use the install CD and follow the directions and you'll be fine. Most routers work right out of the box.

I have the same problem as your brother and sister....but in Malaysia...I can't get any hotspots and my computer is old and sick which means i can't do anything about it...can anyone help me?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.