Hi guys.

First of all, I really didn't know where to make my thread, since I don't know what's the source of my problem, so sorry if that's not the right place.

My problem is that my internet kind of dies from time to time. I have windows XP if that's of any help. It's not that I get disconnected though. IM on MSN and xfire will not deliver or will be delivered later and if I am on an online game I get really high pings. I am quite sure I don't have any spyware of sorts or any virus, so I wonder what could be causing it.

I know that the problem could be my ISP but I wanted to make sure it's not that, because where I live (Greece) getting tech support or even contacting people on ISPs can be REALLY, and note that, REALLY hard.

So any suggestions on what to do? Could the moded be causing it? Should I do any specific checks? Format the drive? Smash it with a hammer?

Thanks for your time and sorry if that's the wrong place to post (it probably is, I know ._.)

Hi, Jaymz,

Can you please clarify a couple of things? First, what do you mean when you say "my internet kind of dies from time to time...it's not that I get disconnected though". You continue to say that IM won't deliver, but if you are on an online game you get "really high pings"; those are contradictory statements because if your IM won't/can't deliver, that probably means that your internet connection is down, and if the connection is down or bouncing, then you wouldn't get high ping times from a game.
What type of internet service do you have? Cable? DSL? dial-up? If dial-up, do you have an internal or external modem? on the surface, it does sound like either a hardware or an ISP issue, but if you provide more information, it will be better to ascertain. Thanks!

Hi, Jaymz,

Can you please clarify a couple of things? First, what do you mean when you say "my internet kind of dies from time to time...it's not that I get disconnected though". You continue to say that IM won't deliver, but if you are on an online game you get "really high pings"; those are contradictory statements because if your IM won't/can't deliver, that probably means that your internet connection is down, and if the connection is down or bouncing, then you wouldn't get high ping times from a game.
What type of internet service do you have? Cable? DSL? dial-up? If dial-up, do you have an internal or external modem? on the surface, it does sound like either a hardware or an ISP issue, but if you provide more information, it will be better to ascertain. Thanks!

Ok, I will try to clarify.

I'll start with the easy things, I have a DSL connection.

And I think the term bouncing would describe my situation pretty well. Inside games, at times my ping will go from 50-60 to 300, or sometimes for seconds there will be a message saying connection interreupted and then after a bit things work well again. When that bouncing happens and I talk on msn as I said I either get disconnected off MSN or IMs fail to deliver. Sorry if it's contradicting again but that's what happens .__.

Thanks in advance

It sounds like it is either your DSL modem or your ISP. Unfortunately, you'll have to contact the ISP to request testing of the circuit and the equipment. :(

It sounds like it is either your DSL modem or your ISP. Unfortunately, you'll have to contact the ISP to request testing of the circuit and the equipment. :(

Hmm, I'll buy a new modem to see how things work out and will notify you. Thanks for your replies (:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.