I would REALLY appreciate your help with this because it's driving me nuts!

The problem is my computer seems slow to respond. When I type it takes a while for the text on screen to catch up with my typing, and when I play a movie using windows media player the picture is really jerky.

Any idea what's going wrong?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

system resources sound spent. what application are you running and what exactly
is it that youve got under your hood? graphics card? amount of ram? bus speed? cpu
type ..i once had this problem when i had a good amount of dust caked on my cpu and
the fan on board my graphics card had gone to pot. I replaced the fan and blew the
dust off my cpu heat sink then left the cover off the case and havnt had a problem since.

Hey,

That all sounds like german to me! Im running XP, and my comp say i have 94 gb free. I only bought the comp in march so it's pretty new. the only thing I have changed recently is......i used hijack? and cleared out some stuff, under the watchful eye of a professional! (See: http://computercops.biz/postx75983-0-15.html).

But i don't see how that would have a negative impact on my poor little computer.

As for the amount of ram, bus speed etc.........I am not that computer literate so I apologise for my utter lack of computer language knowledge! How would I know? I have a HP....oooh wait, there's a sticker on th front.

2.7 Ghz
intel celeron
256mb ddr
120gb hard drive
ati radeon 9200se
128 mb video memory

Does that make any sense to you?

maybe your graphics settings arent set to allow your card "full accelleration"

Start> Control panel> Display> Settings> Advanced

This will get you to the point where you can check to see if your hardware
graphics accelleration is turned up. it sounds like somthing is sucking up mega
resources on your box or there arent eneough to do what youre doing. As for
the application that you use for your movie viewing pleasure, it may be utilizing
many resources and have priority over everything else. The problem you
experience with typing lag is common. it just sounds like youre doing alot and
probably have a ton of things running that you dont nessesarily use all of the
time.

Try the following :-

1. Click on Start and then click on Run and then type MS CONFIG
2. Click on the STARTUP tab and then click on the Disable All button
3. Then click on Apply button and then click on Close button and then restart the computer and see whether you are getting the same problem or not.

I would REALLY appreciate your help with this because it's driving me nuts!

The problem is my computer seems slow to respond. When I type it takes a while for the text on screen to catch up with my typing, and when I play a movie using windows media player the picture is really jerky.

Any idea what's going wrong?

low resources the best way is to disable som of your start-up items usind MSCONFIG. and if that does'nt work buy more RAM.

I just saw this now, I have the same problem... although I am now using Windows 7... But I will try these options and see if they'll work.. thanks .. nice thread. I'd let you know whatever happens. :)

I have a registry cleaner... and I have quite enough RAM I guess 2 gig. I dont play video games. Does my bulk of photos have something to do with ? But most of my photo folders are in drive d:\. thanks

If your photos are on "D" then that is not the root cause of a slow compter response for typing.Overheating from dust bunnies or faulty fans, too many programs running that hog resources, unnecessary MSConfig entries, poor graphic card response [accelerator] ,and insufficient power supply juice are the causes.Drive fragmentation rarely has a similar effect.Overheating of the CPU and motherboard components due to age or dust is the most common reason.

If your system's fine, here are some simple things you can try to speed up your stuff:
- check your Windows Task Manager and go click on processes and check if there are applications that don't need to be running taking up a lot of space
- there are often some auto-start programs on computer that don't need to be auto-started, changing their settings may make your computer start up and run much faster

Plus, if you are watching a movie on-line, maybe it's your internet connection.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.