Recently, I was hit hard by the CWS/about:blank viruses. During this I was having problems opening some of my hotmail. It seemed somewhat random in terms of which I could or could not open. I then downloaded SpySweeper and ran AboutBuster, Remove.exe and HiJackThis.

While these viruses are now gone, I cannot open any hotmail nor can I access certain sercure pages. I run Windows 2000 on a custom PC.

Did I remove something that I needed by accident?

Contributors
Replies
Views
13 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by RJ33

thanks, but still no help.

i've noticed that it is the links written in javascript that i can't access. any advice?

This is a wild guess but maybe it will help. If there is no error or security message, perhaps one of the annoyance fixers added a popup stopper to your browser.

I've seen that before...if you're on 2000 or XP try downloading the Windows Script here. I think it fixed that before.

What version of IE do you have (Help-->About)? You can use Start-->Run-->msinfo32 and expand Internet Settings-->Internet Explorer-->File Versions and see if any of the files show up with <file missing> and search the file name on Google to see if you can download an IE service pack that has those files in it.

I've seen that before...if you're on 2000 or XP try downloading the Windows Script here. I think it fixed that before.

What version of IE do you have (Help-->About)? You can use Start-->Run-->msinfo32 and expand Internet Settings-->Internet Explorer-->File Versions and see if any of the files show up with <file missing> and search the file name on Google to see if you can download an IE service pack that has those files in it.

Thanks for the help. I did all this to no avail. I then called MS and I had a free help session so the tech walked me through an IE fix. I'm all better now.
Thanks again. :cheesy:

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.