Hi.
I have a Compaq Presario 1625 laptop computer running at 266M with Win98 4.10.1998.
I am trying to set it up to work wireless to the internet.
I have a PC card that works successfully to another laptop with my Router setup .
But, cannot get it to work with this computer.
Unfortunately, D-Link tech support says I need Win98 SE for it to work (in contrast to what the store person said where I bought the Router+Card).

Questions:
1) Will W98SE work on my 266 computer?
2) What about WinXP?
3) If go with Win98SE, is there a easy way to get the upgrade I need?
4) If any D-Link experts, can you verify that won't work with Win98 that I have?
Thx.
Bob

Contributors
Replies
Views
12 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by bob6831

The first computer I had 98se on was a p166 32 megs of ram use it for about 4 yrs.
I wouldn't put xp on it if i were you .
As for upgrading to 98SE all you need is a 98SE disk and from the boot disk run setup making sure to install it in the c:\windows folder,so that it over writes the win98 ,[not the c:\windows000 folder that it might choose] and install it over the 98 version .I have done this on numerisous ocations with 95 and 98 .

Ok, my goal now is to get this to work on my current level of W98, or to find a cheap Win98SE update.

I saw in another forum that may be able to use a WinXP driver to get around this problem, but need more understanding. Does anyone see this as a good solution?

Thx.

Bob

Ok, my goal now is to get this to work on my current level of W98, or to find a cheap Win98SE update.

I saw in another forum that may be able to use a WinXP driver to get around this problem, but need more understanding. Does anyone see this as a good solution?

Thx.

Bob

I assumme you have been here but ,if not it might help!.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=95211&os=20&lc=en&cc=us&dest_page=softwareCategory&tool=softwareCategory&dlc=en&docname=c00045244

Thanks Caperjack, some good info that would have helped me when was first learning about wireless, but doesn't really address where I am now.
Bob

The problem is that it never recognizes the PC card being plugged..... says no card found.
When I run the D-Link install program, it says "The NDIS.VXD.NTKERN.VXD device loader(s) for this device could not load the device driver(Code2).
When I try to update the driver, says best driver is already installed.
Btw - looks like WinXP has driver in Windows\System32 folder, while Win98 has it in Windows\System folder.
Bob

Yippy, yippy, after several days (I am both slow AND stupid, but I am persistent!), I have resolved my problem.

Basically the only thing that worked, and it DID work, was to replace the NDIS.VXD file on my Win98 system with a WinXP file.

Thanks for all your help.
Bob

...I have resolved my problem.

Basically the only thing that worked, and it DID work, was to replace the NDIS.VXD file on my Win98 system with a WinXP file.

Bob

Hi Bob...congrats...can you explain how you replaced those files?

I have the same issue with my wireless adapter card on my Win98fe machine and would like to avoid a costly upgrade if possible. :confused:

My system sees the card just fine, however the drivers are not there...both NDIS.VXD and another.

Thanks for the help :D

Aaron,
I got the WinXP NDIS.VXD from a driver download site I believe or possibly a copy from a WinXP system I also have.
I copied it into the C:\Windows\System after renaming old copy to OldNDIS.VXD.
That was the key file that was needed other than drivers that came with my Router/Adapter card CD.
Bob

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.