Hello,

Today when I started up my machine, I found myself with a safe mode display - 16 colors and
640 x 480 resolution. I've done several scandisks (finds nothing) and re-started several times in safe and normal mode without any change. I've gone to the display settings, fixed them, and re-started the computer without any change in the screen.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

did you try booting into last known good configuration. Sometimes that doesn't help your computer it just makes things worse so i would set a restore point with some program (i dont know if system restore is provided for windows 98)

did you try booting into last known good configuration. Sometimes that doesn't help your computer it just makes things worse so i would set a restore point with some program (i dont know if system restore is provided for windows 98)

First, thanks for taking the time to answer my question. This problem started today, so I did a System Restore from last friday. However, when it was completed, I got the message that the System Restore was not possible since no changes had been made since then. Any other suggestions?

does it say safe mode all allong the edges of the screen?

Have you tried removing and reinstalling your video drivers yet? For that matter, does Device Manager indicate that your video card is using the correct driver?

Have you tried removing and reinstalling your video drivers yet? For that matter, does Device Manager indicate that your video card is using the correct driver?

yes, give us the video card, make model, and if you cant find that out. Look for the FCCID number, with that you can find out everything about the card you will need to know.

Your video drivers might have gone corrupt and you need to download new ones. and running a scandisk will do you no good for an issue related somthing like this, at least i dont see how it would help, someone enlighten mee if it can. Honestly, i would look for viruses or malware, that seems more likely if its not a driver issue.

Very likely it's video driver corruption. Do what DMR said first.

running a scandisk will do you no good for an issue related somthing like this, at least i dont see how it would help, someone enlighten mee if it can.

No, you're probably right- although scandisk does check for and fix certain filesystem and physical disk errors, it can only fix certain corruption issues (bad filenames and timestamps, crosslinked files, "orphaned" data, and bad blocks), and it actually doesn't do a very reliable job of most of that.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.