Computer Info: Dell Dimension, Windows 2000 SP4, LAN connection, IE6, Office 2000

Problem: Last week I installed Hotbar on my computer. Didn't like it so I uninstalled it. Now, I am unable to use links, buttons to access IE. The hourglass will flash for a few seconds, then stop. It locks up my computer mementarily. I can only access IE through Windows Explorer. Once in, it will not open other separate windows when clicking on a link.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling IE, no luck. Currently now have IE 5.

Any suggestions as to what I did, and how to fix? Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hotbar is spyware and has probably messed up your system. Read this article and post in the Security forum if you're still stuck.

Hotbar is spyware and has probably messed up your system.

Agreed. HotBar is definitely spyware/adware, and like many such programs it may not totally remove itself from your system if you try to uninstall it via the Add/Remove Programs control panel. You shoould scan your system with the (free) "spyware" utilities Ad Aware and SpyBot Search & Destroy. Download links for those programs are in my sig below, and you can find information on how to use them in many of the threads in our Security forum. As Mike suggested though: please start a new thread in the Security forum if you have more questions regarding HotBar or other spyware.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.