I have a weird problem with my cd-drives in windows 2000 pro.
I have two cd-drives, another is Samsung dvd/cd drive, and another a Fujitsu Siemens cd-r drive.

Now, every time I try to open a cd in my computer, it says: " The disk in drive * is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?". Same thing as if you'd try to open an empty cd-drive.

Bios does recognize them, and even device manager says everything is working fine. When I put a cd in, the cd-drive loads it, but my computer doesn't show it's name or open it.
And to make it even weirder....my cd-r drive can still burn cd's O_o ...and they work fine...(on another computer of course).

They did work fine before, so I have no clue what has happened. Can't say what I have installed or done, because I haven't done anything but burning for awhile :/

*edit*: My floppy drive seems to have the same problem, or it's just broken, but it would be a too big coincidence I think. Weird things indeed.

Any help would be nice!

Thanks

Contributors
Replies
Views
14 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by sealracer
  • EXAMPLE:

• If you get the error "Disk in drive X:\ is not formatted do you want to format it now?" while accessing the Iomega Floppy Drive, but when you click the OK button you get "Unable to format disk in drive X:\", there is a problem with the disk or the disk is write protected. Try another disk or remove write protection to resolve this issue.

I have two cd-drives, another is Samsung dvd/cd drive, and another a Fujitsu Siemens cd-r drive.

Now, every time I try to open a cd in my computer, it says: " The disk in drive * is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?". Same thing as if you'd try to open an empty cd-drive.

Bios does recognize them, and even device manager says everything is working fine. When I put a cd in, the cd-drive loads it, but my computer doesn't show it's name or open it.
And to make it even weirder....my cd-r drive can still burn cd's O_o ...and they work fine...(on another computer of course).

They did work fine before, so I have no clue what has happened. Can't say what I have installed or done, because I haven't done anything but burning for awhile :/

*edit*: My floppy drive seems to have the same problem, or it's just broken, but it would be a too big coincidence I think. Weird things indeed.

Any help would be nice!

Thanks

Go to device manager and remove the drives and reboot computer to reinstall the drivers for the cdroms

Go to device manager and remove the drives and reboot computer to reinstall the drivers for the cdroms

Yup.

And this may be a long shot, but have you fiddled with the jumpers on the back of the drives?

I uninstalled the drives and rebooted, but it didn't help, still having same errors.

And no I haven't touched the jumpers, but I did help a friend of mine, and plugged his hard drive in my comp, using the dvd/cd-drives IDE cable. But I didn't touch anything else. Could this have done something?

The fact that my cd-r drive still burns cd's shows that the drives are working (at least the burning one).

And it can't be a write protection or anything because they are cd-drives.

I don't know if you have corrected the problem (since this post is several months old) but I thought I would add my 2 cents in case anyone else is experiencing the same problem.

You haven't by chance recently installed "Norton Internet Security" have you?

I was having the same problem (which is, by the way, how I found this webboard...doing a search...but I digress). Both my CD-rom drives, my floppy drive, and my zip drive all gave the same error message "disk in drive <x> is not formatted, do you want to format it now".

There could be some programs on your computer that could be clashing with the Norton. In my case, I had to take off "IN-CD" and everything started working again.
According to Symantec, there are several programs that could be causing this.

To save alot of typing on my part, here is a link to the Symantec knowledge base where I found the info. Symantec Knowledge Base - Cannot access CD-ROM

I hope this helps.

Any help would be nice!

Thanks

Hi,

I experienced the same problem after installing Norton Internet Security 2004.
I tried what "Sabad" suggested and deleted the program "InCD" and everything worked ..........as it seems for now :)

Im facing the EXACT same issue. My CD-Rs burn normally, but my CD_RWs dont.

Error message:
"Unable to format disk in drive E:\", there is a problem with the disk or the disk is write protected. Try another disk or remove write protection to resolve this issue."

They wont let me copy data into the CD-RW because of write protection. I cant find an option on my computer or CD Drive option to disable write protection.

I dont see why I should use a new CD-RW as this one was brand-spankin new straight outta the plastic-wrapped box.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.