Hi I recently installed a 160GB Hitachi ata hard drive in my HP. The master drive is a maxtor 80GB. I have already moved a lot of my pictures, videos, and other miscellaneous files to my 160GB slave drive. However, I would like to move all of my installed programs that are currently on my master drive to the slave drive. I would have just installed XP on my new drive, but XP came pre-installed on my master drive. Thanks in advance. :)
cole@aug.com

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

You can't 'move' the programs. bits and pices of them get put all over the place in a Windows installation.

But you can quite easily do the same job effectively by uninstalling them, then reinstalling them choosing the new drive for the installation Directory. Every program install should ask you to accept the installation Directory before it proceeds. when you're asked, simply edit the suggested install directory by changing the drive letter to the one for your new drive or partition, and leaving the rest of the directory path as suggested.

You need to do them one by one, I'm afraid, but there's no way round that because of the way Windows operates!

Thanks Cat for the quick response. However, If I install the programs on my new "slave" drive will they show up under the Start>Programs Menu ?

Yes. All you change by uninstalling then reinstalling the programs is the directory where the program files themselves are stored:

i.e. instead of C:\Program Files\Program Directory it will be perhaps D:\Program Files\Program Directory

and also the Windows Registry entries which point to where the components of the programs are located. All else will operate just as before.

I think there's also a sotware to do it without uninstalling programs .... and it was system mechanic ... I am not sure cuz I dont have system mechanic now ... try it and tell me too.

nanosani it looks like it is system mechanic 5, i hope the trial version is fully functional

thanks

I think there's also a sotware to do it without uninstalling programs .... and it was system mechanic ... I am not sure cuz I dont have system mechanic now ... try it and tell me too.

Hi I recently installed a 160GB Hitachi ata hard drive in my HP. The master drive is a maxtor 80GB. I have already moved a lot of my pictures, videos, and other miscellaneous files to my 160GB slave drive. However, I would like to move all of my installed programs that are currently on my master drive to the slave drive. I would have just installed XP on my new drive, but XP came pre-installed on my master drive. Thanks in advance. :)
cole@aug.com

Personally I'd clone the old drive onto the new one, resizing the partition to fill it, make the big drive my master and reformat the old one as the slave once I'd made sure everything was working properly off the new drive. I've used this utility in the past:

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

Personally I'd clone the old drive onto the new one, resizing the partition to fill it, make the big drive my master and reformat the old one as the slave once I'd made sure everything was working properly off the new drive. I've used this utility in the past:

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

would an XP pre-installed version work on my new hard drive? I have heard there might be some problems considering the security features XP has built in.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.