My "hard drive" keeps restarting itself before it gets to the welcome screen. I can read the contents of the HD but I can not get access to my documents because it is denied. I dont know what else to do??

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

yeah, try in safe mode, or re-installing your operating system.

Safe mode does not work and there is no Virus or trojans that can be identified. It's not the rest of the hardware because I installed another HD and it is working fine. I am really afraid of losing the work that is in my documents. I can read the HD by making it a slave but I can not get into to the folder because it gives me a warning that access is denied. I got in by booting up in Knoppix but I have a problem with saving.
Im lost!!

No guarentees, as it could be a couple things, but please do these:

Download the latest version of Ad-Aware at http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
After installing AAW, and before running the program, FIRST update the reference file following these instructions.
http://www.lavahelp.com/howto/updref/index.html
Now do the following:
- Under Ad-aware 6 > Settings (Gear at the top) > Tweaks > Scanning Engine:
check: "Unload recognized processes during scanning."
- Under Ad-aware 6 > Settings (Gear at the top) > Tweaks > Cleaning Engine:
Check: "Let Windows remove files in use after reboot."
Press "Scan Now"
- Check option "Use Custom scanning options"
- Check option "Activate In-Depth Scan"
- Press "Select drives\folders to scan"
- Select the active partition which is usually C:
Now press "Next" to let Ad-aware scan your drives...
It will find a number of "bad" files and registry keys.
Right-click in that pane and choose "select all"
Now press "Next" again.
It will ask you whether you'd like to remove all checked items. Click OK.
Finally, close Ad-Aware, and reboot.

Then:
Download 'Hijack This!'. http://www.computercops.biz/downloads-file-328.html
Unzip (extract) it to a folder of its own. Then Doubleclick HijackThis.exe (in the new folder), and hit "Scan".
When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
Press that, then Ctrl-A to Select All, and copy its contents here. for hijackthis,most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

I had the same problem once. It turned out to be a bad power supply. And I guess the power would fluctuate.

My hard drive keeps restarting itself before it gets to the welcome screen. I can read the contents of the HD but I can not get access to my documents because it is denied.

There are a couple of possibilities. One is a damaged Registry. You can boot from the XP CD (if you have the full version) and use the "repair" option.

If all you have is the so-called "restore" CD, I'm not sure how that would work, as I have not used one.

If you can boot from Knoppix, I don't think the power supply is your problem.

If you can't get into Safe Mode, your problem is most likely bad RAM. Try running MemTest86.

Ok I am going to rephrase some of the words I have used..First I can not download anything to my hard drive because it does not let me use it. It keeps restarting on its own. Second I do have the full version of XP and I have gotten to the recovery console and I put in the Admin password but that is where I stay. I dont know what else to put in. It is not ad-ware because I already scanned the drive and there is nothing that can be detected. It is not the rest of the computer because I am using another HD and it is working fine. I have read the files off of another HD using XP but I can not get into the folder...access is denied! I dont know what else to do.

What I ended up doing was making the drive a slave and went into safe mode on the other HD and went to the folder and took ownership under administrator and copied the files over to my files and saved them quickly to CD's. Thanks for the links and the help.;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.