I know I'm properly connected to the internet and there aren't any problems there however everytime I try to log in to my hotmail account an error page shows up saying this page cannot be displayed. No matter how many times I try to log in the error page always comes up. As for my messenger, it says that I am currently NOT connected to the .NET Messenging service. I assume it's because it can't detect my default connection and I don't have a proxy server. How can I connected to my messenger and hotmail account?

Recommended Answers

All 69 Replies

"Bugeyes"... Perhaps it's just a strange coincidence that I too am experiencing this problem, but coincidence or not it's causing me a considerable amount of frustration. Starting at some point yesterday my MSN messenger (Beta 6.0) has refused to allow me any form of access, giving me the typical message about being not connected to the internet or signed into my .NET account... I've tried everything I know. Hotmail works only occasionally and other Microsoft related sites either load slowly or refuse to load at all... Anyone got any suggestions or ideas?

MSN messenger (Beta 6.0)

Well, MSN Messenger 6 Final is out. Consider upgrading to a released version. Beta software is "use at your own risk" and may have problems. Your issue might have been fixed in the final release..

bugeyes - I reccomend trying to clear your internet cache, and your cookies (and then, restarting your browser). As for the Messenger issue, try manually signing on (I think its File -> Sign on as..) and report back :-).

I am currently using the latest version of msn messenger (6.0). I cleared my internet cache earlier today and that didn't do anything i've tried manually signing in the my messenger but it always says that my sign-in name doesn't exist or the my password is incorrect but it can't be since the last time I used my messenger was saturday nigth and everything was fine then.

Well, I hate for this to sound funny, but are you sure you are using the correct username and password? I believe the Microsoft Passport Login System uses case sensitive passwords; meaning pASSword is different from Password.

I am 100% positive that I am using the right password, but regarding the situation and how it seemed more or less hopeless I downloaded trillian, it's a program that allows you to use msn messenger, aim, yahoo messenger and icq all at the same time, and the pasword i was using on my msn messenger works just fine of trillian

I don't think it's related with whether you have the latest msn messenger 6.0 or not.Please contact your ISP and ask them whether you need to use a proxy server or not and change the setting from your messengers options.As for your hotmail,hotmail accesibility has nothing to do with you having the latest msn messenger or not.Most possibly,it's your cookies...just check @internet options@ and look for anything about cookies and change that setting and see the result...

as you have probably noticed there is a relationship between the fact that ur browser not working and msn. msn takes all its setting from ur default browser so you got to fix that first.

i'm not sure how ur browser works there but for me i would reput my proxy setting and port etc.
if you use aol you might want to try and set IE as your default browser and try.

if your are using IE and you reputted your settling and still no go. you might want to repair system repair IE.

if all else fails. your screwed.

So I have learned that my IE explorer settings are taken directly from msn messenger setttings.If that IS so, I have no proxy set for messenger but I use a proxy for my IE,i mean,I have to use a proxy for my internet explorer otherwise it doesn't work.

no your msn takes its settings from IE not the other way round.

Bugeyes is correct. I am having the exact problem. I've tried everything iwtout any result. Everything was fine until Microsoft forced me to upgradeMSN.

Can someone please tell me where to find these proxy settings that you are talking about.

i think im having the same problem as everyone else!! aparently none of the passwords/e-mail addys i try, exsist. i have tried 3 diffrent ones. and i cant get to the so called "help" sections cos all it comes up with is refresh. i was perfectly happy with the older version, until msn wrecked it all by starting the new version. it should of been optional if we wanted to up grade it or not. i would like to thank msn for annoying people with their stupid new ways :( *sorry for bad spelling*

remove new and reinstall old version

Remove MSN messenger==Uninstall Messenger

You have to edit sysoc.inf (located in /WINDOWS/inf). Under [Components] you should see the following line:
msmsgs=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7. Take the word 'hide' out of the line, and it should look like this:
msmsgs=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7. Exit and save.

Go to Add or Remove Programs, and click on Add/Remove Windows Components. There you should now be able to uncheck the MSN Messenger Service, and by clicking Next it will uninstall.=======

Old version === http://oldversion.com/program.php?n=msnm

commented: I like oldversion.com +10

how do you mean by that? has it happened on previous versions? do you know how to sort it out.......please!! :-|

sorry ignore what i just put!

yeah ,a great site I found it a couple of yrs back and its still up,so it should be around for awhile .

My little brother new about it for along time and never told me ,when I went to show him it he was like old news
useful link for sure

I am currently using the latest version of msn messenger (6.0). I cleared my internet cache earlier today and that didn't do anything i've tried manually signing in the my messenger but it always says that my sign-in name doesn't exist or the my password is incorrect but it can't be since the last time I used my messenger was saturday nigth and everything was fine then.

I am having the same problem - have you resolved yours - if so how? Thanks
JCW

Many of you have the same problem with MSN, saying that your password is invalid when it's not, try this:

1. Click on the 'Start' button located at the lower left hand corner of your screen.
2. Click 'Run'.
3. Type 'regsvr32 softpub.dll' (without the quotes) and click 'OK'.
4. Click 'OK' to the message stating that the .dll files have been registered.

Hope this helps,

Matt

hi!

i have msn 6.1, and yesterday i tried installing a msn addon called 'hand'
when it was installed, i signed in on msn 6, and when i double click on a contact, or they try to talk to me, it says 'We were unable to start a conversation with ........ You may want to try again'
So i rebooted the PC and it made no difference.
I clicked repair on the msn addon - made no difference, so i uninstalled the thing.
Messenger still didnt work, so i did the repair option on messenger - no difference, so i completely uninstalled it, downloaded it again and installed it again. it still doesnt work :sad: i am having to use msn 4.7 and i want msn 6.1 back:!: pleassse can someone help me out! thanx
slug

has anybody thaught that the problem might be their SSL connection. i dont really understand it but i think that thats what messing up getting on to cirtain web sites and msn, if anybody knows anything about this can they please get back, only im desperate to get back on msn but nothing is working, and i just need to find out about how to find if i have a SSL and if so why its not working. thankyou

hi!

i have msn 6.1, and yesterday i tried installing a msn addon called 'hand'
when it was installed, i signed in on msn 6, and when i double click on a contact, or they try to talk to me, it says 'We were unable to start a conversation with ........ You may want to try again'
So i rebooted the PC and it made no difference.
I clicked repair on the msn addon - made no difference, so i uninstalled the thing.
Messenger still didnt work, so i did the repair option on messenger - no difference, so i completely uninstalled it, downloaded it again and installed it again. it still doesnt work :sad: i am having to use msn 4.7 and i want msn 6.1 back:!: pleassse can someone help me out! thanx
slug

I am having the IDENTICAL problem, and can find no way to uninstall the plugin which seems to have caused the problem in the first place. I've tried uninstalling 6.1 and reinstalling several times to no avail, and am also now stuck using 4.7 since it's the only one that will work. Any help would be most appreciated!

go here:

http://messenger.msn.com/help

scroll down the page a bit and click on PUBLIC MSN MESSENGER NEWSGROUP then once the page has loaded click on msn.messenger then post ur question to a MSN TECHIE for FREE. it'll take about 30 minutes to get a response(just refresh page after 30 minutes).

Don't forget when posting ur problem to tell them wat version of msn messenger u have and ur operating system!

Thanks for all the advice. I finally solved my similar problem by downloading and using netscape. Does this work for you?

bugeyes - I reccomend trying to clear your internet cache, and your cookies (and then, restarting your browser). As for the Messenger issue, try manually signing on (I think its File -> Sign on as..) and report back :-).

How do I clear my internet cache and cookies?:evil:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.