i have the blue screen of death, im guessing, ive been reading forums for 3 hrs and it sounds like thats what i have.

i dont know anything about computers and my computer is pretty slow, so i goout to look for some advise to make it faster. i find a video that tells me 4 ways on how to make my computer faster. first was 'run' '%temp%' which i knew about, but did and deleted some stuff. next was disc cleanup, the person who made the video said it should take about 5min but it took mine 40min, when it was finished it said i needed an anti-spywear,changed my backround to saying' need anti-virus, computer at risk' and automatically downloaded an anti virus(i did the disc clean up last) b4 i did the diesc clean up i went to internet opinions and deleted all my browsing or w/e.

now i tried 3 out of the 4 and at the time they seemd to work pretty well so i look for another video this guy made, he had a video with programs to use. i tried 2 out of 4. ad-ware, good but took my internet away so i uninstalled. then avg free version. it kept having a pop-up saying 'virus' and i pressed force out or something like that because if i didnt it would continue popping up. then it said 'could crash computer' i pressed yes because otherwise it would continue popping up. then it said 'couldnt heal'. btw i also had this program pop-up stopper to stop pop-ups yet they still came through.

anyways to the problem. my computer is now all messed up. i tried to scan my computer with avg, after a min and 40sec nothing was scanned, so i decided its just time to make al lthese problems go away and system restore. i go through with it, my computer shuts down for the system restore. when i press my user ot log on and finish the system restore it says 'loading personal files' then 2secs later says 'logging off'. this happens on both user so now i cant ever get on my computer.

can someone please help me? i want to get back on my computer
i told everything that happen so you would undestand the problem or maybe it willl help more

i heard i need an XP disc to fix it, gateway never gave me any disc when they sodl me my computer, is there a way to fix it without my XP disc?

Recommended Answers

All 30 Replies

Try to get into safe mode and then first turn off system restore ..... Try installing kaspersky antivirus or an equivalent good antivirus in the safe mode and go for a scan.. i guess its some kinda malware thats into your system... scan it... if everythin goes fine then after scan is done shut down and restart and check...
Hope this may help.. but worth a try...

safe mode doesnt work. from my experience at first it would even log in, not even in safe mode. then i tired it yesterday and it let me log it, it said the system restore didnt owrk or something, then i did a scan with avg and about mid-way the blue screen came up, so system restore is no longer on it and i cant even log.

you need to boot to the winxp cd ,and go to R ,for repair and when you cet to the prompt ,type in , chkdsk /r, not there is a space between k and /

alright thanks, i dont have the disk though, i was never given one, i sent an email to gateway to see if theyd give me one so i hope they do but is there any other way? thats free?

It seems like you were tricked into downloading malware. The things you described are very indicative of it. Once you have malware, your computer is compromised. Copy all of your personal documents to a CD or external USB drive while started up in safe mode. After this I suggest you do a COMPLETE format and re-install of your system.
NEVER download software from an scetchy source. EVER. Many viruses pose as anti-virus software (often using the names of good companies). Since it seems you're susceptible to such scams, you should make an admin account with a strong password, then make a limited user account to do your main stuff with.
FYI here are some good security utilities that I have on most of my machines with exception to windows defender:
Ad-aware se
ccleaner
grifsoft avg free
spybot search and destroy
winpatrol
windows defender
You can google it for the links, these are all very popular
Never open unsolicited attachments, never trust any blogs for your software, always stay updated.

Ad-aware se
ccleaner
grifsoft avg free
spybot search and destroy
winpatrol
windows defender

some really good programs ,you are missing one of the best new ones though!
malwarebytes.and its also free to use the scanner removal part ,real time protection in the paid version.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

So basically,
You should either
1. buy a new computer and don't be foolish like this again or
2. Re-install the system (CLEAN FORMAT)
If you don't you may suffer identity theft or file corruption or a whole slew of other things down the road.
Once infected, always infected.

Once infected, always infected.

Bull Droppings.
lots of free programs to clean computer of infections safely

to caper
I guess youre addicted to posting or even better posting is addicted to you, I thought you were gone.
glad to see you still around
[sorry for the invation]

to caper
I guess youre addicted to posting or even better posting is addicted to you, I thought you were gone.
glad to see you still around
[sorry for the invation]

lol,going through withdrawals ,just taking the edge off ,

k well how do i get the disk? like i heard its $100 or so but if its supposed to come with the computer cant i just borrow a friends and save money? cus my friends say i cant and i dont get it, how can i buy a new disk thats not specificly made for my computer but not use a friends?

Okay, well shows how much you value your privacy, capjack

Oh, btw you use the wrong "here" in your signature. Don't want you to look too stupid now.

Okay, well shows how much you value your privacy, capjack

Oh, btw you use the wrong "here" in your signature. Don't want you to look too stupid now.

kma.
I don't have a signature

k well how do i get the disk? like i heard its $100 or so but if its supposed to come with the computer cant i just borrow a friends and save money? cus my friends say i cant and i dont get it, how can i buy a new disk thats not specificly made for my computer but not use a friends?

this is a thread about my computer problem, can we plz answer my question

Sounds like it's time to call gateway.
Check gethuman.com for a direct connect to a person.

why do i need to call them? as far as i know i just need the disk, i called them and assked if i could get the disk they never gave me and they said no, i asked a question like 2 posts ago, can someone plz answr that, that seems like information to me, but for now thanks for all the help guys

Enrish, all you require to do a Windows Repair is an OEM installation cd of the same update status as your sys, eg XP SP2 Home, and you can just borrow one. Input your own Product Key though. Being an OEM machine, that will be on the sticker on the side of your box.
If you cannot borrow a disk from a mate or neighbour, nip down to your local puter shop and they should be able to burn you one for a couple of dollars.
A Repair will not cause you to lose any files, but it may break some of your third party software.

Your sys sounds really messed up. So you cannot get into Safe Mode, with Networking? Just a blue screen on each attempt? Okay, a few points....
For a start... I have seen those "temp" files on the net, and they are fine but hardly comprehensive. A better way is to get CCleaner - out of the box it does a fine job, but is also customisable.
Disk Cleanup recommended and then dld software? - that must be some other third party disk cleanup, not the one in Windows [rclick a drive, eg C: and you will see it, also Defrag].
Install only ONE resident AV [such as AVG8] -they fight, and it can be bare knuckle stuff. But it does not matter how many online AV scans [they usually combine an AS scan also] you run, they will not conflict with your resident AV.
AVG8 is a combo AV and AS, and a bit of a drag on your sys, but it is good. I use Avast [also a combo] but it is lighter on resources.
AdAware is not as good as it used to be [my personal opion only...].
But your immediate problem is none of that - if you cannot get into Safe Mode then a Repair is almost the only option, well, the simplest one. However if you have a virus or some other piece of malware that is able to crash AVG8 in Safe Mode, then I fear it will junk your Repair job also. But try it. Your first priority should then be to clean the sys - if you are able to enter Safe Mode with Networking:
==Please use IE or Firefox to do an online scan at panda:- http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/solutions/activescan/?
-for the free online virus scan select the link Scan your PC, then Register [otherwise there will be no disinfection, merely detection] with a valid email and follow through.
Please ATTACH to your post the log it produces.
Note. Do not format your machine until your data is safe by either one of two ways: repair or file copy. If a Repair and AV scan won't do the job, the next thing is to copy off your vital files, and a format would make that tougher. If you cannot get your sys clean, but are able to copy your files safely, then you can do a format [which deletes your File Allocation Tables, and so the malware files also get lost], and a clean installation.
Another point.. I note that now your System Restore is not working, but for the future, turning it Off [and On again...] deletes all your Restore Points. An infected restore point is better than none at all, and infections cannot get out of the Restore point folder - the System Volume Information directory- unless you actually use an infected Restore point. But as I said....

i called one computer store, cus ive asked a lot of my friends and it seems like no one has the xp home edition disk, they said they didnt have the disk and it wil be hard to find because microsoft is trying to get rid of XP, then i asked if they knew a store that would burn the disk(not knowinbg it was illegal) and he said i doubt it because its illegal. then i asked if my computer could update to vista(i know it sucks and all, i just want my computer back) and he said it might not support vista cus my computer is 4 yrs old.

can my computer support vista even if its 4 yrs old?
is it cheaper that trying to get a $120 XP disk? i really only wanted to spend like $20 but i should have known thats too cheap.

and im still trying to find a disk from a friend and calling local computer stores. thanks to everyone for helping so far, especially gerbil! knowing that there's a chance that i can borrow the disk and safe about $100 makes me very happy, thats important info for me.

and he said i doubt it because its illegal.

and im still trying to find a disk from a friend and calling local computer stores.

it might support vista . second it might be illegal but i do it all the time ,i would mail you a copy of winxp homefor free,as long as you have a winxp key on the computer it will work.
I think big company's selling a computer with out a copy of windows just to save them some money ,is illegal !!!!

that would be awesome if you could send me a copy of the disk. ya i think big companys are messed up.
when you say the xpkey do you mean the code on the side of the computer with the bar code and what not?

whats your email address?
send it me to in a private message or something, i tried to send the info to you in a private message but it was blocked or something

Good on yer, caper.
Enrish, any computer repairman will have a bucket full of burnt disks. M$ may not like it, but unless they break the door down there is absolutely no way they can find out. You are permitted to make one copy, anyway....

alright thanks, i think caper is mailing me a burned one so i think thats covered but if not im happy to know that, thanks for letting me know.

the disk is on it way to you to-day ,i have reread the first post and i think you blue screen is just the fake screensaver blue screen of death install by the rouge antivirus program ,hitting the enter key gets rid of it .can you boot the computer at all ,if so try this program to clean up computer ,www.malewarebytes.org

no i cant boot the computer at all. thats the problem, because when i press a user name(safe mode or not) it will say 'loading personal files' then a blue screen wil pop up for a second then it goes back the the users and says 'logging off'.
thanks for sending the disk.

no i cant boot the computer at all. thats the problem, because when i press a user name(safe mode or not) it will say 'loading personal files' then a blue screen wil pop up for a second then it goes back the the users and says 'logging off'.
thanks for sending the disk.

is there any text written on the blue screen

This, enrish...
a Repair is almost the only option, well, the simplest one. However if you have a virus or some other piece of malware that is able to crash AVG8 in Safe Mode, then I fear it will junk your Repair job also. But try it. Your first priority should then be to clean the sys - if you are able to enter Safe Mode with Networking:
==Please use IE or Firefox to do an online scan at panda:- http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeuse...s/activescan/?
-for the free online virus scan select the link Scan your PC, then Register [otherwise there will be no disinfection, merely detection] with a valid email and follow through.
Please ATTACH to your post the log it produces.
Note. Do not format your machine until your data is safe by either one of two ways: repair or file copy. If a Repair and AV scan won't do the job, the next thing is to copy off your vital files, and a format would make that tougher. If you cannot get your sys clean, but are able to copy your files safely, then you can do a format [which deletes your File Allocation Tables, and so the malware files also get lost], and a clean installation.
Before I started that I would reinstall the firewall that you had, else load the installer file for , say, Zonealarm or other firewall that you like, into an Pen drive, Repair, start up or install the firewall, then go online to do the scan.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.