Hi, I'm using ASUS W5F T2300 1.66GHz.
Windows XP Home Edition SP2.
Hardisk HTS421280H9AT00 --> 2 Partitions: drive C: and D:

I got some registry issue that makes my windows need to be reinstalled. and ufortunately nearly hardisk failure too (I think there are some scratches on the surface) it says so when i tried to defrag.

So I want to buy a new hardisk to replace the old one, but since my windows didn't come with the installation CD (only recovery CD) so I think I need to copy my windows to the new hardisk first (make it bootable) and then do the clean install.

I've never done it before, and I read in some forum that software named "ACRONIS (Home11)" can do so. Do you guys have step by step instruction how to use it? or do you all have suggestion to do it in other way?

One more question, my hardisk format is FAT32. my mate said it is better to use NTFS format due to more transfer speed? is that true?

i want to change to 120GB new hardisk, and I think im going to buy WD one. and I have no idea what is "SATA" and "IDE". what is the difference?

thanks with all respects.

Hi, I'm using ASUS W5F T2300 1.66GHz.
Windows XP Home Edition SP2.
Hardisk HTS421280H9AT00 --> 2 Partitions: drive C: and D:

I got some registry issue that makes my windows need to be reinstalled. and ufortunately nearly hardisk failure too (I think there are some scratches on the surface) it says so when i tried to defrag.

So I want to buy a new hardisk to replace the old one, but since my windows didn't come with the installation CD (only recovery CD) so I think I need to copy my windows to the new hardisk first (make it bootable) and then do the clean install.

I've never done it before, and I read in some forum that software named "ACRONIS (Home11)" can do so. Do you guys have step by step instruction how to use it? or do you all have suggestion to do it in other way?

One more question, my hardisk format is FAT32. my mate said it is better to use NTFS format due to more transfer speed? is that true?

i want to change to 120GB new hardisk, and I think im going to buy WD one. and I have no idea what is "SATA" and "IDE". what is the difference?

thanks with all respects.

How to copy the OS to new hardisk?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.