In my computer I have Win98 and Win2000. When I use Win2000, I can use the mouse, however, when I use Win98, there's no movement or any sign regarding the mouse.

I don't have a clue what's happening. Before, the mouse was ok with both operating systems. Actually I try to re-install Win98, but without a mouse it is almost impossible.

I do appreciate with any help in this regard.

By taking this opportunity, in Win98, the SCANDISK or DEFRAG is not working properly. It takes forever to run, but still without any result.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

In my computer I have Win98 and Win2000. When I use Win2000, I can use the mouse, however, when I use Win98, there's no movement or any sign regarding the mouse.

- Is it a serial mouse or a USB mouse?

- Does the mouse work if you boot Win 98 in to Safe Mode?

I try to re-install Win98, but without a mouse it is almost impossible.

Yikes- Are you saying that the mouse now doesn't work even when you're booted from the installation CD?

...in Win98, the SCANDISK or DEFRAG is not working properly. It takes forever to run, but still without any result.

Well... there's some result, even if it isn't the right result. ;)
Do the programs ever finish running, or do they seem to just keep "spinning their wheels"? Some programs or processes which monitor or write to the hard disk can interfere with Scandisk and defrag; try shutting down all non-critical programs before doing your scans.

Win98 and Win 2000 support the mouse differently. Did you reconfigure your mouse when you added Win 2000? Take a look at this link from Microsoft:

Win98 and Win 2000 support the mouse differently...

Yes, but ferdina said:

Before, the mouse was ok with both operating systems

...in Win98, the SCANDISK or DEFRAG is not working properly. It takes forever to run, but still without any result.

Try running them from Safe Mode.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.