Heres the deal, i cannot get into my internet by clicking on any of the IE icons, nor by clicking on iexplorer.exe. I can how ever, get into IE my opening My computer, then typing in the address of where i want to go. When i am in IE, if i click on a link that should be opened in a new window, it doesnt open at all. When i do Ctrl-alt-del, it says "iexplorer (not responding)". I can still get into Outlook-express 6 when i click on the shortcut, and am still getting/sending new e-mails. I ran, Ad-aware, Spybot- S&D, And a bunch of Norton Symantic/system works scans, and deleted all the infected files, but still no luck. I have Windows ME, and use IE 6. Please help me!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

APPLIES TO

•Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 Service Pack 1•Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 Service Pack 1•Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 Service Pack 1•Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0
You cannot open a new Internet Explorer window or nothing occurs after you click a link
Look here:

At the site, it doesn't say where to find something like..HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} or how to see if its registered or missing. :?:

Editing the Registry

The Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE) is included with most version of Windows (although you won't find it on the Start Menu) it enables you to view, search and edit the data within the Registry. There are several methods for starting the Registry Editor, the simplest is to click on the Start button, then select Run, and in the Open box type "regedit", and if the Registry Editor is installed it should now open and look like the image below.

[img]http://www.winguides.com/images/articles/regedit_exe.gif[/img]

Using Regedit to modify your Registry

Once you have started the Regedit you will notice that on the left side there is a tree with folders, and on the right the contents (values) of the currently selected folder.

Like Windows explorer, to expand a certain branch (see the structure of the registry section), click on the plus sign [+] to the left of any folder, or just double-click on the folder. To display the contents of a key (folder), just click the desired key, and look at the values listed on the right side. You can add a new key or value by selecting New from the Edit menu, or by right-clicking your mouse. And you can rename any value and almost any key with the same method used to rename files; right-click on an object and click rename, or click on it twice (slowly), or just press F2 on the keyboard. Lastly, you can delete a key or value by clicking on it, and pressing Delete on the keyboard, or by right-clicking on it, and choosing Delete.
Note: it is always a good idea to backup your registry before making any changes to it. It can be intimidating to a new user, and there is always the possibility of changing or deleting a critical setting causing you to have to reinstall the whole operating system. It's much better to be safe than sorry!

For information regarding the structure of the registry, CLICK HERE.

The Registry Guide for Windows, formerly RegEdit.com, provides an extensive range of registry tweaks, tricks & hacks for optimizing, enhancing and securing the Windows XP, 2000, NT, 98, 95 and Windows Me operating systems (as well as educational items such as shown above in this message). To go there, CLICK HERE.

Lastly, just a reminder that registry entries are case sensitive. A wrong case or a typing error can crash your computer, so be very, very careful. If you are adding a new or modified key from a document such as one from Microsoft's web site, it's a good idea to copy and paste to prevent these kind of errors. If you still feel unsecure or uncomfortable, it may be a good idea to find a friend who can help you do this. Good Luck!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.