Please help; I have installed wanadoo on xp home but made an error when installing the sagem modem and now it does not acknowledge that there is a modem installed so I have then tried to delete the files manually so I can reinstall but it wont let me delete frenchdll.exe and dslmon.exe
Any help would be appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

The manual removal route probably wasn't the best way to go (unless it was your only recourse): aside from the files that the modem installation added, it also would have made changes to your registry which will be difficult to find and remove by hand. You might want/need to use the System Restore function to reset things back to a state just prior to your attempted installation of the modem.

As to your specific question though, try one of the following to get to a point where you can delete the files in question:

1. Open Task Manager and look in the running process list for the 2 files. If you find them there, select each one and click on the "End Task" option. See if you can then delete the files.

2. Reboot into Safe Mode (by hitting the F8 key just as Windows starts to load). You should be able to delete the files from there, as they shouldn't be automatically started by Windows under Safe Mode.

Thank you very much; would one of these registry cleaners you can download online clean up my registry; and if so any recomendations please
thanks

Hi
I have managed to put the files back on to the c drive but the computer still does not acknowledge its existence so cant reinstall as thinks it is already there and can uninstall becase cant find it to uninstall; hence the attempt at deleting files; any help would be mosty appreciated.

Please help; I have installed wanadoo on xp home but made an error when installing the sagem modem and now it does not acknowledge that there is a modem installed so I have then tried to delete the files manually so I can reinstall but it wont let me delete frenchdll.exe and dslmon.exe
Any help would be appreciated.

Try using System Restore (Start-->Programs-->Accessories-->System Tools) to put your computer back to the point it was before you installed the modem. Consult the vendor of the software for an updated version to install that works with your level of updates for XP, do you have Service Pack 2 installed? If so, maybe that is why the install fails.

Thanks for that but when I try and do a restore it says create the point you want to restore from and then does it from todays time and date! Is there a technique for creating the right time and date please. Sorry to be so thick!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.