Hello to the great folks at Daniweb !!!!!!!!
I bought my first laptop, a IBM ThinkPad 600, with Windows 98 on it. Not much of one but I didn't need much for just surfing the net in the livingroom. I bought it used, $20.00 and had a dead cmos battery in it. I replaced it and all is well.
For some reason the memory is full. It says that it has a capacity of 1.81 GB. It already has 1.73 GB used. I looked and couldn't see where all that stuff was that was hogging up all the room.
Anyway, I'd like to find out if I can put a bigger hard drive in it and upgrade to Windows XP. I also want to max out the RAM.
This computer will be part of a network, soon. It's just going to be used to surf the net and maybe type some tex documents, while the tv's on.
Any and all help will be very much appreciated !!

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by caperjack

After doing some web searching on the subjects that I started this thread, I see that upgrading will be more troublesome than it's worth. I've read about the non-removable RAM and the removable. What a headache ! I believe I'm going to try to figure out why there is no memory left and just use the laptop as is.
Is there a program out there that will help me figure out how to clean the junk off this computer or figure out what is REALLY needed and what isn't ?
Sorry I sound so "lost" about all this !

I do have one more question. This laptop is not "ethernet" ready. The only internet plug-in is a regular phone line. I don't know how to tell if it's "wireless" ready ? How do I get it "wireless" or "ethernet" ready, without spending alot ?

I do have one more question. This laptop is not "ethernet" ready. The only internet plug-in is a regular phone line. I don't know how to tell if it's "wireless" ready ? How do I get it "wireless" or "ethernet" ready, without spending alot ?

just found you post ,look on e-bay [ http://computers.shop.ebay.ca/items/?_nkw=wireless+pcmcia&_sacat=31530&_fromfsb=&_trksid=m270&_odkw=pcmcia&_osacat=31530 ]for a pcmcia wireless card or nic card .also you could just go buy a usb wireless adapter,if it has a usb plug in it .in link the ones that look like a thumb drive .
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=2688

as for ram it should take ,144 pin sodim pc100 ram ,its likely that you could add a 256 stick .also you could add a bigger harddrive ,I do a lot of older laptops and have put xp or win 2000 on a few

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.