I recently bought dsl and a wireless router for my home and I've ran into a problem.

My older computer runs win98 but in order for the wireless network card to be recognized i need win98SE. I have the win98SE disk that you use to install on a machine without a OS, but I do not have the upgrade disk to go from win98 to SE :cry: . If anyone knows how to do this I would really appreciate help. Just keep in mind that i'm not the most computer literate person in the world so if you could break down the step i'd appreciate it.

It's a Belkin54g wireless network card if anyone wants to know.

Thanks,
Xolarus

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I don't know of any way to do it and save the information that's on your computer. Are you trying to do that? If not then you can boot to a boot floppy and run format c: then just boot to the win98se setup disk and let it go. As long the 98SE disk sees your old 98 files there it won't install. At the very least, you would need to delete all the files in the C:\Windows folder which you can't do either unless you boot from a floppy. Fortunately MS dropped this nonsense after win98.

Thank you for your help. I'll try that.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.