I ran the vista Memory Diagnostic Tool on my PC and while it was running the computer shut off. Now it will not start again. The fans and lights start and run for a second or two, then it shuts down for a few seconds and then it attempts to start again, the fans and lights come on for a few seconds and then it shuts down. This cycle just keeps on going.

I tried to create a windows recovery Cd, but the power doesn;t stay on long enough for the Cd drive to run.

I suppose the power wiped out my Bios or filled up the RAM and now it can't start at all. Any ideas. What do I do?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Symptoms & circumstance suggust RAM failure. Remove all modules and retest each module individually in each bank slot one by one.

I ran the vista Memory Diagnostic Tool on my PC and while it was running the computer shut off. Now it will not start again. The fans and lights start and run for a second or two, then it shuts down for a few seconds and then it attempts to start again, the fans and lights come on for a few seconds and then it shuts down. This cycle just keeps on going.

I tried to create a windows recovery Cd, but the power doesn;t stay on long enough for the Cd drive to run.

I suppose the power wiped out my Bios or filled up the RAM and now it can't start at all. Any ideas. What do I do?

The most likely cause is a power glitch that has zapped your mobo.

The PSU itself may have been the cause or there was a mains spike.

If it was RAM, the PC would beep during boot and put up a message. If booting can't get that far, then the mobo cn't process the boot instructions. if the PC shuts down, the PSU isn't supplying the right power.

I think that's about it. Could be wrong, but it's the olkd story you've told.

Anyone disagree?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.