I have a very slow computer as it is, however, I would like someone to give me some tips on what I can do to maximize the functionality of my system. the internet is very slow even though i have fiber cable. (though i use a wireless router for my laptop.) we have quite a few programs on this computer, but i just am not sure if there are any tips such as modifing the virtual memory or other techniques that can boost the performance of my computer. please help!

Probably the cheapest and easiest way to improve performance is by adding memory. But if this is an old machine, the hard disk drive could be the bottleneck. So, if you are at the limits of your hard drive and you don't have enough memory, the system will bog down.

However, this could also be a case of acquiring a virus. If you want, you can go to our Virus, Spyware and other Nasties forum and post there and someone can help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.