Hello helpful people, thanks for looking at my thread.
I have recently ended my main email pop3 address and moved to a new email account using imap folders. I cannot seem to move my imap folder to be the personal folder. I have removed the email account that i originally had for the personal folder but the folder still remains. I would like to be able to save the .pst file for possible future reference and then replace the bones of that folder with the imap folders of my new account. This query is both for Outlook 2007 on Vista and Outlook 2003 on XP, as i have the same situation at home and at work.
Thanks for you time.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

if i understand correctly you have saved your old .pst file and want to reinstate it into your new account? if so goto data file management then data files tab. then add your new .pst file in the new account and make it your default.

sorry correction...
old .pst file (obviously not new)

your probably going to have to call it something else too like Outlook2.pst unless your only looking to use that one.

Thanks for the post.
My problem isn't one of just changing my .pst file. It appears to be something about Outlook and IMAP folders. I cannot seem to get the main personal folders folder that outlook creates when it loads the first time. I have all my mail on the mail server, being imap, and all my other details in Plaxo (i highly recommend for outlook users) so i just removed all the email profiles and started again fresh.
What i want to achieve is the "personal folders" to be my "imap folder". It creates a new separate folder when i create an email account.
Maybe it's just outlooks way of dealing with IMAP folders.

Thanks for you time.

Neil

sorry correction...
old .pst file (obviously not new)

your probably going to have to call it something else too like Outlook2.pst unless your only looking to use that one.

your original pst file cannot be deleted throught outlook, you have to find the directory that has the pst file then deleted or relocated it, ( i suggest relocate) then start outlook it will give you a message saying cannot open ("drive letter:\ document and setting\ application data................\....\*.pst") this will depend on how you have config outlook before. then click ok and then point outlook to the directory where you have your new account pst file saved., whether you use IMAP or POP the outlook file will be pst.

your original pst file cannot be deleted throught outlook, you have to find the directory that has the pst file then deleted or relocated it, ( i suggest relocate) then start outlook it will give you a message saying cannot open ("drive letter:\ document and setting\ application data................\....\*.pst") this will depend on how you have config outlook before. then click ok and then point outlook to the directory where you have your new account pst file saved., whether you use IMAP or POP the outlook file will be pst.

THhis worked for me, but I then lost my calendar and contacts. To bring your calendar and contacts into what will be your new personal folder, do the following:

To Copy contacts over:
* Have both Personal folders open
* Select all contacts in the Old folder, then copy, and paste into the contacts folder of the new personal folder.

To copy over Calendar:
* EXPORT that CALENDAR folder to a PST
* then import it to the new account as a separate step. Take care to notice where it will put the import you have an option of the SELECTED folder so have the calendar selected first before you start the import.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.