Finally it seams that vista 64 ultimate are unable to reboot, restore, run in safemode or repair. So probably I have to reinstall Vista.
The symptoms that lead to that vista couldn't reboot was that it freezed. It has freezed 2 times. Each time I enable the total black screen saver that is shipped with windows.
But it can't be that could it? The second time when I tried auto repair it failed with messages like:
Currently I'm using SeaTools for DOS at www.seagate.com to see if there is any Hard Drive problem. Short test passed and I'm doing long test right now.
I don't beleive there is any problem with the HD because the computer is only a few month old from factory.
I'm using SAMSUNG HM251JJ.
1. Is there a third party NTFS repair tool I could try?
2. Is there any other tool I could try?
3. If I choose to restore from an old vista backup will that remove my important files?
4. How can I reinstall vista but keeping my old files?
5. Is there anything else I could do?
At the end of the repair phase I can access the console. When inserting an USB drive and a PenDrive it automatically recognise it. Very nifty. I'm using an USB-Drive for backup.
I have a large virtual pc file. About 20-30 gig. I tried to use XCOPY to copy all files but it seam to hang when moving the large 20-30 gig file. I waited several hours until I aborted.
I'm unable to run any dos xcopy version with progress indicator. Tried 2 dos based and 1 window based. None of them was compatible. I need this to figure out if it hangs or not.
3. Does anybody know where I can find any progress indicator supported console compatible xcopy application?
4. How long does it take to copy 25 gig over USB 1?
5. How can I connect through network. I tried like. net use z: \\192.168.0.X\Shared. Vista console can't connect. But it seams that I can send report to Microsoft (no error when sent)
6. How can I see the real file size. I noticed that it show the full size even if I copy a small part of the large 20-30 gig file.