I have a new pc with XP Pro - I transferred my old Hard drive into new pc as a slave drive. When I try and access my old files on the slave drive in Documents and settings I get Access Denied. Is this something to do with the way the old drive was setup with my files under the "administrator" user with a password ? Is there an easy way to access the files on the old drive ? Any suggestions gratefully received.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you will want to boot up from the slave drive in safe mode..log into windows... and copy across all the documents held in My documents and settings. I think its the easiest way.

I know this will seem a daft thing to say..but whilst the PC is booting up tap the F8 button on your keyboard to access the safe mode option. Make sure your booting from your slave drive by changing this in your bios settings

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you will want to boot up from the slave drive in safe mode..log into windows... and copy across all the documents held in My documents and settings. I think its the easiest way.

MANY THANKS - I'LL GIVE IT A WHIRL !

Do you know the exact steps using phoenix. Im knew to this stuff.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.